TERM unos letadla

  • Hana Viansová
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
      Hi all,
      I need to distinguis between unos letadla a zabaveni letadla (urednim zasahem). Dicitionaries offer hijacking (sounds a bit informal, does it?), seisure and confiscation. I�m not sure about seisure - would you think it was unos or zabaveni? Or can you come up with something else for unos?
      Thanks a lot
      Hanka

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
        Hi Hanka,

        I suppose that 'hijack(ing)' is correct for "unos" if it's a vehicle of a
        kind. 'Skyjack' is more specific if it's a plane.

        I don't think that 'seizure' (not 'seisure') is the best word for (uredni)
        "zabaveni". 'Forfeit' should work better.

        You ought to wait for some native speakers' opinions though, of course...

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
          On Monday, April 4, 2005, at 03:29 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

          > I suppose that 'hijack(ing)' is correct for "unos" if it's a vehicle
          > of a
          > kind. 'Skyjack' is more specific if it's a plane.

          "Highjacking" is the correct (formal) term for "unos letadla".
          "Skyjacking" is a term left over from the 1970s, when hijacking planes
          was relatively new, and it sounds rather slangy and quaint now. So use
          "airplane hijacking".

          > I don't think that 'seizure' (not 'seisure') is the best word for
          > (uredni)
          > "zabaveni". 'Forfeit' should work better.

          "Seizure" or "confiscation" are the right words for this. "Forfeit" is
          a verb, not a noun, and if you used the noun "forfeiture" you'd be
          looking at the roles wrong:

          The government seized his plane.
          = He was forced to forfeit his plane to the government.