Re: TERM: gun-shy

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005

      > On Sunday, April 3, 2005, at 03:14 PM, Jaroslav Suchánek wrote:
      >
      > > "Dnes uz jsem trochu opatrnejsi"

      Hais Hodek suggest that 'gunshy' (vystraseny) originally refers to
      dogs that don't like loud bangs. BTW how about something just a little
      stronger like 'ostrazitejsi'?

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
        > Is anyone else not getting their own posts anymore? Mine cut off
        last
        > week, and now I never know if they got through or not.

        I haven't noticed anything because I read and send all mail at the
        Yahoo site, but I do know that Yahoo Groups revamped their entire site
        last week so this might be part of the new deal. You can always check
        mail at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/czechlist - and while you are at
        it you can have a look at some wonderful new photos we have at:

      • spektrum2002
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
          Me puvodne hodne zmatlo, ze je ted posta razena casove odspodu nahoru.
          Minuly tyden jsem porad koukal dolu a divil se, ze uz tri dny neni na
          Czechlistu zadny novy prispevek.
          Petr Adamek

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
          wrote:
          > > Is anyone else not getting their own posts anymore? Mine cut off
          > last
          > > week, and now I never know if they got through or not.
          > >

          > I haven't noticed anything because I read and send all mail at the
          > Yahoo site, but I do know that Yahoo Groups revamped their entire
          site
          > last week so this might be part of the new deal. You can always check
          > mail at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/czechlist - and while you are
          at
          > it you can have a look at some wonderful new photos we have at:

          > M.
        • Jaroslav Suchánek
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
            Hi Melvyn, thanks for your input.
            The file was to deliver on Monday morning, so I used "opatrnejsi" which
            is more general IMHO.
            Are you going to meet us at "Vesely Bizon" tomorrow?
            Jarda

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jaroslav Suchánek <jardas@m...>
              wrote:

              > Are you going to meet us at "Vesely Bizon" tomorrow?

              Very unlikely that I'll be in Prague tomorrow. It's unusual these
              days for me to be able to arrange my affairs a long time in advance
              around a regular set calendar date for meetings. Particularly
              Tuesdays.

              However, if anybody wishes to join me and a few colleagues in the
              city centre for a meal/drink and occasionally language-related chat,
              then do contact me offlist ( zehrovak at volny dot cz ) with
              suggestions and ideas and I'm sure we can come up with something
              mutually convenient a few days or so before the actual event.

              BR

              Melvyn

              I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed
              us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their
              use.
              - GALILEO GALILEI