TERM: gun-shy

  • Jaroslav Suchánek
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
      Hello listmates,

      what do you think of translating "I am somewhat gun-shy of it today"
      as "Dneska jsem z toho tak trochu na rozpacích" nebo "Dnes uz o tom nejsem
      tak uplne presvedcen"?
      (from an interview with musician).

      TIA
      Jarda
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
        On Sunday, April 3, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Jaroslav Suchánek wrote:

        > what do you think of translating "I am somewhat gun-shy of it today"
        > as "Dneska jsem z toho tak trochu na rozpacích" nebo "Dnes uz o tom
        > nejsem
        > tak uplne presvedcen"?
        > (from an interview with musician).

        I can't make the Czech native speaker judgment, but I think both those
        translations are inaccurate.

        "Gun-shy" means that someone has had a bad experience with something
        before, and he is now a bit afraid to try it again (even though there
        may be no reason to be afraid, if he does things correctly). I think
        the idea originated with people having had a gun accident, and then
        being timid about using a gun again. "Gun-shy" in its strictest sense
        means afraid to touch a gun because of a previous accident or injury.
        Now it just means someone is afraid to do something because he has
        previously had a bad experience with it, even getting married or
        starting a business. There must be a Czech idiom for it that involves
        burning one's fingers or something like that.

        And compare this proverb: "Once bitten, twice shy." If a dog has
        bitten you, you're timid about approaching it again.

        So, I don't think it's about rozpak or not being presvedcen.

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
          Hi Jarda,

          > what do you think of translating "I am somewhat gun-shy of it today"

          definitions at www.m-w.com:

          1 : afraid of loud noise (as that of a gun)
          2 : markedly distrustful, afraid, or cautious

          Number two probably fits in your context. I'm not aware of any simple Czech
          equivalents. As Jamie suggests neither of your suggestions really reflects
          the meaning. I think it's more like "Dnes si na tom již dávám trochu
          pozor"...

          Jirka Bolech
        • Jaroslav Suchánek
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
            Jamie and Jirka, thank for your help.
            Context shows the speaker is rather hesitant, so I use "Dnes uz jsem
            trochu opatrnejsi"
            Jarda

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@s...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
              On Sunday, April 3, 2005, at 03:14 PM, Jaroslav Suchánek wrote:

              > "Dnes uz jsem trochu opatrnejsi"

              I think that works.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
                Is anyone else not getting their own posts anymore? Mine cut off last
                week, and now I never know if they got through or not.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005

                  > On Sunday, April 3, 2005, at 03:14 PM, Jaroslav Suchánek wrote:
                  >
                  > > "Dnes uz jsem trochu opatrnejsi"

                  Hais Hodek suggest that 'gunshy' (vystraseny) originally refers to
                  dogs that don't like loud bangs. BTW how about something just a little
                  stronger like 'ostrazitejsi'?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                    > Is anyone else not getting their own posts anymore? Mine cut off
                    last
                    > week, and now I never know if they got through or not.

                    I haven't noticed anything because I read and send all mail at the
                    Yahoo site, but I do know that Yahoo Groups revamped their entire site
                    last week so this might be part of the new deal. You can always check
                    mail at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/czechlist - and while you are at
                    it you can have a look at some wonderful new photos we have at:

                  • spektrum2002
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                      Me puvodne hodne zmatlo, ze je ted posta razena casove odspodu nahoru.
                      Minuly tyden jsem porad koukal dolu a divil se, ze uz tri dny neni na
                      Czechlistu zadny novy prispevek.
                      Petr Adamek

                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
                      wrote:
                      > > Is anyone else not getting their own posts anymore? Mine cut off
                      > last
                      > > week, and now I never know if they got through or not.
                      > >

                      > I haven't noticed anything because I read and send all mail at the
                      > Yahoo site, but I do know that Yahoo Groups revamped their entire
                      site
                      > last week so this might be part of the new deal. You can always check
                      > mail at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/czechlist - and while you are
                      at
                      > it you can have a look at some wonderful new photos we have at:

                      > M.
                    • Jaroslav Suchánek
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                        Hi Melvyn, thanks for your input.
                        The file was to deliver on Monday morning, so I used "opatrnejsi" which
                        is more general IMHO.
                        Are you going to meet us at "Vesely Bizon" tomorrow?
                        Jarda

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jaroslav Suchánek <jardas@m...>
                          wrote:

                          > Are you going to meet us at "Vesely Bizon" tomorrow?

                          Very unlikely that I'll be in Prague tomorrow. It's unusual these
                          days for me to be able to arrange my affairs a long time in advance
                          around a regular set calendar date for meetings. Particularly
                          Tuesdays.

                          However, if anybody wishes to join me and a few colleagues in the
                          city centre for a meal/drink and occasionally language-related chat,
                          then do contact me offlist ( zehrovak at volny dot cz ) with
                          suggestions and ideas and I'm sure we can come up with something
                          mutually convenient a few days or so before the actual event.

                          BR

                          Melvyn

                          I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed
                          us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their
                          use.
                          - GALILEO GALILEI