Re: [Czechlist] TERM: vec slouzici provozu

  • Hana Viansová
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 12:29 PM
      Thank you, Jamie. In the text, they talk a lot about "preruseni provozu"
      which I guess could be operation? Could you conceivably come up with
      something for "vec slouzici provozu" where you´d keep the word opearation? I
      know they use the word "operation" a lot in the context, whether or not it
      is the ideal word.
      Hanka

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 1:52 PM
        Hullo Hana,

        Just back from my travels in exotic lands.

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hana Viansová <bebeebeee@s...>
        wrote:
        > Thank you, Jamie. In the text, they talk a lot about "preruseni
        provozu"
        > which I guess could be operation?

        I'd still go for 'business' here. Interruption of business
        (activities or even operations, if you must) sounds like a pretty
        regular collocation to me and it fits in neatly with Jamie's
        solution for 'vec slouzici provozu'. Actually, I often find
        that 'slouzit necemu' translates quite naturally as 'is used for'
        and so I would suggest: 'items (objects etc) used for business
        (purposes)', as I suspect your term is in practice rather close
        to 'vec slouzici k podnikani/podnikatelske cinnosti.

        M.
      • Hana Viansová
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 1:58 PM
          Thank you Melvyn,
          I think interruption of business operation(s) will do just fine.
          Hanka

          wrote:
          > Thank you, Jamie. In the text, they talk a lot about "preruseni
          provozu"
          > which I guess could be operation?

          I'd still go for 'business' here. Interruption of business
          (activities or even operations, if you must) sounds like a pretty
          regular collocation to me and it fits in neatly with Jamie's
          solution for 'vec slouzici provozu'. Actually, I often find
          that 'slouzit necemu' translates quite naturally as 'is used for'
          and so I would suggest: 'items (objects etc) used for business
          (purposes)', as I suspect your term is in practice rather close
          to 'vec slouzici k podnikani/podnikatelske cinnosti.

          M.

          Czechlist resources:

          Yahoo! Groups Links