Re: [Czechlist] TERM: vec slouzici provozu

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
      On Saturday, April 2, 2005, at 09:18 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

      > what would you call "vec slouzici provozu"? It can be anything that
      > serves the operation of a business in any way, incl. buildings,
      > machines, etc. Literal translation would be "thing serving the
      > (purpose of?) operation" but somehow this doesn´t sound right to me.
      > Can anyone help?

      Things (items, etc.) necessary for conducting business or maybe aiding
      the conduct of business.

      Jamie
    • Hana Viansová
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
        Thank you, Jamie. In the text, they talk a lot about "preruseni provozu"
        which I guess could be operation? Could you conceivably come up with
        something for "vec slouzici provozu" where you´d keep the word opearation? I
        know they use the word "operation" a lot in the context, whether or not it
        is the ideal word.
        Hanka

        On Saturday, April 2, 2005, at 09:18 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

        > what would you call "vec slouzici provozu"? It can be anything that
        > serves the operation of a business in any way, incl. buildings,
        > machines, etc. Literal translation would be "thing serving the
        > (purpose of?) operation" but somehow this doesn´t sound right to me.
        > Can anyone help?

        Things (items, etc.) necessary for conducting business or maybe aiding
        the conduct of business.

        Jamie

        Czechlist resources:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
          Hullo Hana,

          Just back from my travels in exotic lands.

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hana Viansová <bebeebeee@s...>
          wrote:
          > Thank you, Jamie. In the text, they talk a lot about "preruseni
          provozu"
          > which I guess could be operation?

          I'd still go for 'business' here. Interruption of business
          (activities or even operations, if you must) sounds like a pretty
          regular collocation to me and it fits in neatly with Jamie's
          solution for 'vec slouzici provozu'. Actually, I often find
          that 'slouzit necemu' translates quite naturally as 'is used for'
          and so I would suggest: 'items (objects etc) used for business
          (purposes)', as I suspect your term is in practice rather close
          to 'vec slouzici k podnikani/podnikatelske cinnosti.

          M.
        • Hana Viansová
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
            Thank you Melvyn,
            I think interruption of business operation(s) will do just fine.
            Hanka