IC or ICO?

  • Michael Gmail
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
      I've been seeing an IC in company documents recently. Back in my Prague
      days it was ICO -- is there a difference?

      Thanks,
      Michael

      --
      <http://globalocal.blogspot.com>

      It's not cryptic, it's evocative.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
        Hi Michael,

        > is there a difference?

        I don't think so. My feeling is there has been this idea that the last word
        in the expression, "organizace", does not work for natural persons who often
        receive a business identification number as sole traders, which only started
        in the 1990s, so the abbreviation has been adopted to reflect the new
        situation...

        Jirka Bolech
      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
          I think in some cases it depends on the whim of the clerk who is
          filling out the document. I recently founded an s.r.o. for the
          purpose of buying a flat and our excerpt from the land registry has
          both IC and ICO in different places for the same no. I would say ICO
          is still the most "official" variant, but that's just my own feeling...
          Coilin

          > Hi Michael,
          >
          > > is there a difference?
          >
          > I don't think so. My feeling is there has been this idea that the
          last word
          > in the expression, "organizace", does not work for natural persons
          who often
          > receive a business identification number as sole traders, which only
          started
          > in the 1990s, so the abbreviation has been adopted to reflect the new
          > situation...
          >
          > Jirka Bolech
        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
            IC is the official one to use now, but many people still say (and write)
            ICO... the other one is DIC, but many people say DICo, to rhyme it with the
            first one...

            > I think in some cases it depends on the whim of the clerk who is
            > filling out the document. I recently founded an s.r.o. for the
            > purpose of buying a flat and our excerpt from the land registry has
            > both IC and ICO in different places for the same no. I would say ICO
            > is still the most "official" variant, but that's just my own feeling...
            > Coilin
            >
            > > Hi Michael,
            > >
            > > > is there a difference?
            > >
            > > I don't think so. My feeling is there has been this idea that the
            > last word
            > > in the expression, "organizace", does not work for natural persons
            > who often
            > > receive a business identification number as sole traders, which only
            > started
            > > in the 1990s, so the abbreviation has been adopted to reflect the new
            > > situation...
            > >
            > > Jirka Bolech
            >

            > Czechlist resources:

          • Michael Gmail
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
              On Apr 1, 2005, at 1:52 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

              > IC is the official one to use now, but many people still say (and
              > write)
              > ICO...

              Is the change a matter of legislation, or...?
              Thanks,
              Michael