Re: being nuts... an apology in advance

  • Beata Rodlingova
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
      Just found out that the would-be-funny Danish expression may have some
      inappropriate connotations once translated into English. I do
      apologize if that's so, it is totally innocent in Danish. Beata
    • Zemedelec@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
        Over here, we'd call them jerks.

        Zemedelec

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
          On Wednesday, March 30, 2005, at 12:25 PM, Beata Rodlingova wrote:

          > One of my students claims she's heard people use the phrase ("he is
          > nuts") to refer to someone arrogant, rich (usu. through quick money),
          > with no culture and no manners. Is that possible?

          No. To be "nuts" means to be insane in some way.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
            On Wednesday, March 30, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Michael Gmail wrote:

            > To my understanding, it's certainly possible that someone fitting that
            > description could be nuts, but that's not what the word means. But
            > then, slang usage evolves quickly.

            I think the slang usage has not evolved into that. Someone could say
            that an arrogant person, consumed with money is nuts, but there are
            plenty of other types of people, including poor ones, who are nuts. I
            think the student was just extrapolating that from one instance, and
            didn't realize that "nuts" meant insane.

            When I lived in the CR a girl came back misusing the word "cheesy".
            She used it to mean "corny", which something cheesy can certainly be,
            but there are things that are not cheesily done that are still corny.
            I think she saw something that was both corny and cheesy, heard someone
            call it cheesy, and thought that cheesy meant corny (something like
            kitsch).

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 30, 2005
              On Wednesday, March 30, 2005, at 05:52 PM, Beata Rodlingova wrote:

              > Thanks for your replies, Michael and Coilin. The teacher is happy to
              > hear the teacher was right :). By the way, did you know that in Danish
              > you "go cucumber" when you go bananas? (aka here's some vocabulary for
              > you to celebrate the tax return deadline).

              Don't call any Chinese person a turtle egg.