Re: help: another ice hockey sentence

  • tomas_barendregt
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@y...> wrote:

      > Thanks Jirka and Tomas,
      > I'm also confused as to who it actually refers to. In the light of
      > what Tomas has said perhaps the author means something like
      Marcinko
      > senior paved the way for jointly representing both Czechoslovakia
      > and Slovakia...?
      > Coilin
      >
      > > Hi Coilin,
      > >
      > > > "Velkou perspektivu pred sebou maji synove slavnych otcu Marek
      > Bartanus
      > > a Tomas Marcinko. Bartanusuv tatinek Anton pred lety valel
      > federalni
      > > ligu za Kosice, v pripadì Marcinka starsiho to plati take,
      > progresivní
      > > zadak si navic otevrel cestu i do spolecne ceskoslovenske
      > reprezentace"

      I read it simply as "Bartanus senior played in the federal league for
      Kosice as did Marcinko senior who, as a modern-style defense player,
      had also an open door to represent Czechoslovakia" (and later on
      Slovakia which is not mentioned here). I do not think he was paving
      the way for anyone but simply got himself nominated for the federal
      team by being an outstanding player playing modern-style defense.

      Tom