Re: [Czechlist] Re: SPS Dopravni

  • Radovan Pletka
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
      The only problem with all those translations below will be that they are
      misleading
      (implaying that the person has some sort of college education), which is
      not the case here - as this is only Seconday level school
      so maybe
      High School with specialization in Transporation Studies
      may be a bit closer to the truth (-:
      or Secondary School with specialization in Transporation Studies
      depending on US or GB location

      At 05:38 PM 10/2/00 -0000, you wrote:
      >--- In Czechlist@egroups.com, "Monika" <cfr.liftec@t...> wrote:
      >> Ahoj, jak byste prelozili do anglictiny Stredni prumyslova skola
      >dopravni?
      >>
      >> Diky moc
      >> Monika
      >
      >Hi Monika,
      >
      >I'm responding in English in case any of our non-Czech-speaking
      >anglophones might like to comment.
      >
      >I don't know of this institute has an established English name but if
      >I were called upon to give it one, my reasoning would run along the
      >following lines (please bear in mind I am speaking from a purely
      >British point of view):
      >
      >Stredni prumyslova skola is translated inter alia as 'Technical High
      >School', 'Technical College' 'Vocational College' or very often the
      >British equivalents are simply "College of...." or "School of....".
      >In
      >the UK, there are Schools and Colleges of Medicine, Drama, Music,
      >Health Studies, Transport Studies and so on. I think that few
      >colleges or
      >schools which specialize so narrowly will actually include the words
      >'technical' or 'vocational' in their names - presumably because
      >this would just be stating the obvious.
      >
      >Transport Studies is a well-established subject name (check it out on
      >Google)
      >
      >Hence on the previous models I'd suggest a simple form:
      >
      >School of Transport Studies
      >
      >(See
      >
      >http://www.glasgow-nautical.ac.uk/Courses/Maritime/transportstudies/co
      >urses.htm
      >
      >for a British example)
      >
      >or if you feel the need to keep closer to the original, I notice on
      >Google there is also an:
      >
      >Engineering Institute of Transport Studies
      >
      >and I see no harm in replacing 'Institute' with 'College' if you must.
      >
      >A few ideas to play around with. Hope it helps.
      >
      >Melvyn

      Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
      P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
      Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
      pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
      www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
      Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
      free to request a sample (-:
      Subscription $30 per year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing later in
      the year)
      (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)