guys

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
      In a message dated 10/2/00 2:10:53 PM, jpelka@... writes:

      >PS Another Q. - does "guys" include "girls", too (as I assume), or,
      >in order to be PC (politically correct), one has to say "guys and
      >girls"?

      When I was a kid, "guys" didn't include girls, but with "you guys" becoming
      the northern equivalent of "y'all", it has gradually come to encompass groups
      containing both genders, but there might be some mirthful protest when it's
      used toward women.

      Jamie
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
        --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

        > In a message dated 10/2/00 2:10:53 PM, jpelka@s... writes:
        >
        > >PS Another Q. - does "guys" include "girls", too (as I assume),
        or,
        > >in order to be PC (politically correct), one has to say "guys and
        > >girls"?
        >
        > When I was a kid, "guys" didn't include girls, but with "you guys"
        becoming
        > the northern equivalent of "y'all", it has gradually come to
        encompass groups
        > containing both genders, but there might be some mirthful protest
        when it's
        > used toward women.
        >
        > Jamie

        I've heard quite a few American women address their female companions
        as 'you guys' entirely without self-consciousness as far as I could
        tell - but this would usually still raise eyebrows in Britain.

        'Guys and gals' is one semi-jocular expression we use. 'You lot' is
        frequently heard but some would consider this to be rather low
        colloquial.

        So long youse guys,

        Melvyn
      • Michael Trittipo
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
          Fwiw, I've used it over the past ten years at least even when addressing
          groups of all women, and no one of them has ever complained or reacted in a
          way to suggest they found it strange to be so addressed. However, that's
          only in its use in "you guys," i.e., 2nd person plural. If I were to use
          the term in the third person, not the second -- "the guys" instead of "you
          guys" --, then I'd expect the listener/reader to probably think more of
          just men. Just my $0.02 (or idiolect, as the case may be).

          Michael Trittipo
          Minneapolis, Minnesota
          mailto:tritt002@...
        • Monika
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
            this is true. at least in New England it's very common to say guys to the female friends
            too, and even to the kids

            monika

            > > >PS Another Q. - does "guys" include "girls", too (as I assume),
            > or,
            > > >in order to be PC (politically correct), one has to say "guys and
            > > >girls"?
            > >
            > > When I was a kid, "guys" didn't include girls, but with "you guys"
            > becoming
            > > the northern equivalent of "y'all", it has gradually come to
            > encompass groups
            > > containing both genders, but there might be some mirthful protest
            > when it's
            > > used toward women.
            > >
            > > Jamie
            >
            > I've heard quite a few American women address their female companions
            > as 'you guys' entirely without self-consciousness as far as I could
            > tell - but this would usually still raise eyebrows in Britain.
            >
            > 'Guys and gals' is one semi-jocular expression we use. 'You lot' is
            > frequently heard but some would consider this to be rather low
            > colloquial.
            >
            > So long youse guys,
            >
            > Melvyn

          • Lindsay Lockyer
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
              I had an American friend when I lived in London and she regularly addressed
              a whole room as 'guys' even though both men and women were present. I did
              ask her if 'guys' included females and she said it did. It worked better
              than what one man man at work used when he arrived, he'd say "Morning, chaps
              and chapesses" (which struck me as being a bit of a mouthful).

              Lindsay

              http://profiles.msn.com
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
                In a message dated 10/3/00 5:25:10 AM, lindsaylockyer@... writes:

                >I had an American friend when I lived in London and she regularly addressed
                >a whole room as 'guys' even though both men and women were present. I
                >did ask her if 'guys' included females and she said it did.

                The problem is that it doesn't ALWAYS refer to women too.

                What I am wondering is why feminists haven't jumped all over this one, since
                it is an application of the male gender as the default for a mixed group.