Re: [Czechlist] quiche, silverware

  • Jetlk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
      I am sorry, but I have! We have a house insurance and there it says , that it
      includes silverware and lists coffee pot, milk jug etc.
      Liba
    • Jetlk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
        Dear Jamie,
      • Jetlk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
          Dear Jamie,
          I would like to take you shopping to a London department store, where we
          would buy together for our new house a beautiful cutlery set , which will
          very definitely include forks, spoons and knives and probably other little
          gadgets - fish knives, tea spoons, etc.
          LIBA
        • Lindsay Lockyer
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
            >From: JPKIRCHNER@...
            >To: Czechlist@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Czechlist] quiche, silverware
            >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 08:06:50 EDT

            If you wanted to buy a box of knives, forks, spoons etc it would just be
            called a set of cutlery, not "cutlery with forks and spoons thrown in". My
            dictionary says "knives, forks and spoons for domestic use".

            Lindsay

            >Cutlery is generally used to mean cutting utensils. Webster's New World
            >includes spoons in its secondary definition of cutlery, but when I think of
            >cutlery I never think of spoons or forks. A set of cutlery would mean a
            >set
            >of varying types of knives. No spoons or forks.
            >
            >Jamie

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • Lindsay Lockyer
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
              >From: "Melvyn Clarke" <zehrovak@...>

              I understand silverware to be anything either made of silver, or silver
              plated.

              Lindsay

              http://profiles.msn.com
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                In a message dated 10/2/00 10:40:23 AM, Jetlk@... writes:

                >Dear Jamie,

                Go on! :-)
              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                  In a message dated 10/2/00 11:12:06 AM, lindsaylockyer@... writes:

                  >If you wanted to buy a box of knives, forks, spoons etc it would just be
                  >called a set of cutlery, not "cutlery with forks and spoons thrown in".
                  > My dictionary says "knives, forks and spoons for domestic use".

                  In normal usage, I always understood cutlery to be cutting utensils and when
                  combined with forks, spoons and other implements it is usually called
                  "tableware". I insist that this is normal US usage. Of course, there is
                  also "flatware".

                  JK
                • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                    In a message dated 10/2/00 11:15:18 AM, lindsaylockyer@... writes:

                    >I understand silverware to be anything either made of silver, or silver
                    >plated.

                    Even jewelry or a tooth filling?
                  • Jetlk@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                      Sorry,
                      have anew mouse and twitching finger!!!!!
                      Liba
                    • Barendregt
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                        From my practical experience (as a server, no dictionaries used), I can
                        say that we used the word "silverware" for any metal spoons, forks, and
                        knives (we had some implements made of silver, usually used for serving,
                        but most were just stainless steel). "Cutlery" was never used and I
                        suspect that in American English it is virtually extinct. Incidentally,
                        our pots and fruit punch bowls, etc. (in the restaurant) were sometimes
                        referred to as silverware because they were made of silver and needed
                        special treatment (pain in the neck!).
                        I would even support Jamie's assertion that you may come across "plastic
                        silverware" (I would probably tend to use "disposable" instead of
                        "plastic" just to feel better about it) - since we (in the US) do not
                        use the word "cutlery", what else is left to describe "spoons, forks,
                        and knives" than silverware? I think the word itself is now pretty much
                        independent of the original meaning of one of its components (yep, I am
                        referring to silver).

                        Tom
                      • jpelka@seznam.cz
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                          --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

                          > In a message dated 10/2/00 11:12:06 AM, lindsaylockyer@h... writes:
                          >
                          > >If you wanted to buy a box of knives, forks, spoons etc it would
                          just be
                          > >called a set of cutlery, not "cutlery with forks and spoons thrown
                          in".
                          > > My dictionary says "knives, forks and spoons for domestic use".
                          >
                          > In normal usage, I always understood cutlery to be cutting utensils
                          and when
                          > combined with forks, spoons and other implements it is usually
                          called
                          > "tableware". I insist that this is normal US usage. Of course,
                          there is
                          > also "flatware".
                          >
                          > JK

                          To make it more topic and interesting, in my EU document, there was
                          an item called
                          "Cutlery, flatware, and silverware".

                          Very interesting discussion, indeed, guys (and girls?).

                          Jirka P.

                          PS Another Q. - does "guys" include "girls", too (as I assume), or,
                          in order to be PC (politically correct), one has to say "guys and
                          girls"?
                        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                            In a message dated 10/2/00 12:50:32 PM, barendregt@... writes:

                            >I would even support Jamie's assertion that you may come across "plastic
                            >silverware" (I would probably tend to use "disposable" instead of
                            >"plastic" just to feel better about it) - since we (in the US) do not
                            >use the word "cutlery", what else is left to describe "spoons, forks,
                            >and knives" than silverware? I think the word itself is now pretty much
                            >independent of the original meaning of one of its components (yep, I am
                            >referring to silver).

                            I would have to disagree that the term "cutlery" is not used in the US. It
                            is used frequently, particularly in advertising, but only to refer to kitchen
                            and dining utensils that cut. Which sort of makes sense, doesn't it?

                            Jamie
                          • Michael Grant
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                              >I would have to disagree that the term "cutlery" is not used in the US. It
                              >is used frequently, particularly in advertising, but only to refer to kitchen
                              >and dining utensils that cut. Which sort of makes sense, doesn't it?

                              My take is that the word is not all that frequently used, but when it
                              is it can include forks and spoons. My AHD includes both definitions,
                              plus a third: "the occupation of a cutler".
                              :-)
                              Michael

                              Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
                            • Lindsay Lockyer
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                Jamie,

                                Ach! No! You've got me there! No, silverware does not cover silver
                                jewellery. And I didn't know anyone had silver tooth fillings. Would
                                anyone really want to advertise the fact that they can't afford a gold one?

                                Lindsay

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                  In a message dated 10/3/00 5:40:21 AM, lindsaylockyer@... writes:

                                  >Ach! No! You've got me there! No, silverware does not cover silver
                                  >jewellery. And I didn't know anyone had silver tooth fillings. Would
                                  >anyone really want to advertise the fact that they can't afford a gold
                                  >one?

                                  Another thing: Silverware will often be used to refer to stainless steel
                                  flatware, but the term will never include a steel coffee pot. So once the
                                  term is used for items that are not made of silver, it narrows.

                                  As for those fillings, I can't imagine a world where people don't have silver
                                  ones. Here the majority of people have either silver amalgam fillings or
                                  porcelain composite. Of course, people under 24 tend to have no fillings,
                                  because the preventive technology is better now than when I was a weester.

                                  Jamie
                                • Lindsay Lockyer
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                    >Jamie wrote:
                                    >
                                    >In normal usage, I always understood cutlery to be cutting utensils and
                                    >when
                                    >combined with forks, spoons and other implements it is usually called
                                    >"tableware". I insist that this is normal US usage. Of course, there is
                                    >also "flatware".
                                    >
                                    >JK

                                    I haven't heard of flatware. What is it? Something flat? Like a plate?
                                    By tableware, I would think you were meaning all knives, forks, spoons and
                                    crockery ... and teapots and coffeepots: in fact anything that goes on a
                                    table. As for cutlery, if we're going to be ever so, *ever so* strict about
                                    it then a cutler deals with blades, not merely knives, so cutlery covers any
                                    blade: knives, swords, daggers, axes, machetes, halberds etc. However, your
                                    average person on the street (here) would understand cutlery to be knives,
                                    forks, spoons and so on. Now I shall bear in mind all you have said so I
                                    don't show myself up if I take a holiday in the US.

                                    : )
                                    Lindsay

                                    http://profiles.msn.com
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                      Lindsay Lockyer wrote:

                                      > I haven't heard of flatware. What is it? Something flat? Like a plate?

                                      My boring stereotype, a quote from Webster's:

                                      flatware, n.
                                      1. utensils, as knives, forks, and spoons, used at the table for serving and
                                      eating food.
                                      2. dishes or containers for the table that are more or less flat, as plates
                                      and saucers (distinguished from hollowware).

                                      I'd just add: How straightforward!

                                      Jirka Bolech
                                    • Michael Grant
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                        I just noticed some orange Halloween plasticware labeled "cutlery" at
                                        the grocery store--including knives, spoons, and forks. FWIW.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                          In a message dated 10/3/00 8:05:37 PM, mgrant@... writes:

                                          >I just noticed some orange Halloween plasticware labeled "cutlery" at
                                          >the grocery store--including knives, spoons, and forks. FWIW.

                                          How do the knives cut? :-)