Re: [Czechlist] US grades

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
      Thank you, Jamie.

      Kostas

      > >Please, can you update me on how the US grades are worded?
      >
      > Frankly we don't generally word them. There's no ceremony after the
      > maturitni zkousky. In fact, there are no maturitni zkousky! :-)
      >
      > >A - very good??, excellent??
      >
      > A = excellent
      >
      > >B - good??
      >
      > "Good" is okay for B.
      >
      > >C - OK? :-)))
      >
      > C = average (although give an American student a C, and he may file a
      > grievance over the professor's insulting assertion that he is not gifted).
      >
      > >D - ??
      >
      > D = below average
      >
      > >E - ??
      > >F - failed
      >
      > E and F both mean "failure". In Michigan (and I don't know where else) we
      > use E. I think the whole rest of the known universe uses F instead.
      > (Another way to put it is that where people drink "pop" they get E for
      > failure. Where they drink "soda" they get F.) Thus, the scale goes ABCDE
      or
      > ABCDF, depending on where you live.
      >
      > You may need to know these, too:
      >
      > W = withdrawal
      > WP = withdrew passing
      > WF = withdrew failing
      >
      > I = incomplete (i.e., The student has a good excuse for not finishing the
      > course work and has a year to complete it, depending on the regulations of
      > the school. In the absence of a good excuse, a good lawyer will do. If
      the
      > student does not finish the coursework within the specified time, a grade
      of
      > "I" automatically downgrades to an E/F.)
      >
      > P = pass
      > F = fail
      >
      > Depending on the school, X can mean that the student was never seen in
      class
      > at all, or did so little work before disappearing that it wouldn't be fair
      > give him a real grade. Other schools use X the same way they use an I.
      This
      > is fun for the professor, because you may get a jerky student who deserves
      > fail based on his own laziness or dishonesty. If you issue this student
      an
      > E, and he has transferred from a school where X means no grade at all, he
      is
      > liable to file a grievance and petition for an X, not knowing that at his
      new
      > school the X functions the same as an incomplete. As the professor, you
      can
      > smile and be a hero by agreeing to give him his X, and then a semester
      later,
      > the X turns into an E without you having done anything. The guy gets
      trumped
      > by his own stupidity again!
      >
      > Jamie

    • Michal Ginter
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
        > You may need to know these, too:

        > W = withdrawal
        > WP = withdrew passing
        > WF = withdrew failing

        What do these mean? Tx, M.
      • Kostas Zgafas
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
          > > W = withdrawal
          > > WP = withdrew passing
          > > WF = withdrew failing
          >
          > What do these mean? Tx, M.

          W (Withdrawal) applies when you change your mind and want to cancel the
          course during the semester. But you have to do it within a certain time
          after the semester begins.

          WP = withdrew passing (Hmmm, this sounds like something that I would like
          the most, but I must admit I see this nice option the first time, too. Maybe
          something new that can be arranged with a good lawyer.:-))

          WF = I guess if you withdraw too late. Is it right, Jamie?

          Kostas
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
            In a message dated 10/2/00 10:41:50 AM, michalginter@... writes:

            >> W = withdrawal
            >> WP = withdrew passing
            >> WF = withdrew failing
            >
            >What do these mean? Tx, M.

            That the student quit the course and will not receive a grade that will go
            into his average. Sometimes people have to withdraw from courses due to
            personal tragedies, because their employer suddenly forced them to work more
            hours, etc.

            JK
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
              In a message dated 10/2/00 11:04:51 AM, kzgafas@... writes:

              >W (Withdrawal) applies when you change your mind and want to cancel the
              >course during the semester. But you have to do it within a certain time
              >after the semester begins.

              At many schools you can withdraw after the deadline if you get your
              instructor's signature. Before that you don't need the signature.

              >WP = withdrew passing (Hmmm, this sounds like something that I would like
              >the most, but I must admit I see this nice option the first time, too.
              >Maybe something new that can be arranged with a good lawyer.:-))
              >
              >WF = I guess if you withdraw too late. Is it right, Jamie?

              People getting WP are doing okay in the course but usually have to withdraw
              due to external circumstances (family problems, job demands, or in my class
              they have often underestimated the difficulty of the course and can't spare
              the time at the moment to do it right). People getting WF are doing failing
              work and are usually withdrawing so as to avoid a failing grade going into
              their average. Not every school makes this distinction with W grades.

              Jamie
            • Michael Grant
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
                >Another way to put it is that where people drink "pop" they get E for
                >failure. Where they drink "soda" they get F.

                What do you get if you drink sody pop?
                Michael

                Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
                  In a message dated 10/2/00 10:00:30 PM, mgrant@... writes:

                  >>Another way to put it is that where people drink "pop" they get E for
                  >>failure. Where they drink "soda" they get F.

                  >What do you get if you drink sody pop?

                  I don't think that in sody pop country they even go to school, do they? ;-)
                • Lindsay Lockyer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                    >From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>
                    >To: Czechlist@egroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [Czechlist] US grades
                    >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 20:51:05 -0500
                    >
                    > >Another way to put it is that where people drink "pop" they get E for
                    > >failure. Where they drink "soda" they get F.
                    >
                    >What do you get if you drink sody pop?
                    >Michael

                    Flatulence?

                    Lindsay