Re: [Czechlist] quiche, silverware

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
      In a message dated 10/2/00 7:34:50 AM, lindsaylockyer@... writes:

      >I would only use the word silverware if the items were silver, not for your
      >ordinary everyday stainless steel cutlery - I'd just call that cutlery.

      Cutlery is generally used to mean cutting utensils. Webster's New World
      includes spoons in its secondary definition of cutlery, but when I think of
      cutlery I never think of spoons or forks. A set of cutlery would mean a set
      of varying types of knives. No spoons or forks.

      Jamie
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
        --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

        > In a message dated 10/2/00 7:34:50 AM, lindsaylockyer@h... writes:
        >
        > >I would only use the word silverware if the items were silver, not
        for your
        > >ordinary everyday stainless steel cutlery - I'd just call that
        cutlery.

        > Cutlery is generally used to mean cutting utensils. Webster's New
        World
        > includes spoons in its secondary definition of cutlery, but when I
        think of
        > cutlery I never think of spoons or forks. A set of cutlery would
        mean a set
        > of varying types of knives. No spoons or forks.
        >
        > Jamie

        Hello Jamie, Lin et al,

        Hmmm, more surprising differences between British and AMerican usage
        that can catch the unwary.

        I have an old British English Dictionary from 1960 which defines
        cutlery as 'knives and other edged instruments or tools' with no
        mention of spoons and forks but my 1994 Collins Cobuild gives us
        'knives, forks and spoons that you eat your food with' and no special
        mention of cutting implements. I think most Brits would use the
        second
        meaning only - don't know if the first is used in professional jargon
        at all.

        As for 'plastic silverware', this does sound rather amusing to
        British
        ears, I think. Collins Cobuild says: 'knives, forks, dishes and other
        things for the table that are made from silver or from a metal that
        looks like silver'. Even that last bit is pushing it a bit in my
        book.
        Silverware that is not silver sounds like something you would keep
        well hidden in your cabinet and only bring out when Americans come to
        visit <just kidding, honest>. Bit like porcelain that is not
        porcelain.

        Melvyn
      • Jetlk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
          I am sorry but I have, our insurance
        • Jetlk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
            I am sorry, but I have! We have a house insurance and there it says , that it
            includes silverware and lists coffee pot, milk jug etc.
            Liba
          • Jetlk@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
              Dear Jamie,
            • Jetlk@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                Dear Jamie,
                I would like to take you shopping to a London department store, where we
                would buy together for our new house a beautiful cutlery set , which will
                very definitely include forks, spoons and knives and probably other little
                gadgets - fish knives, tea spoons, etc.
                LIBA
              • Lindsay Lockyer
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                  >From: JPKIRCHNER@...
                  >To: Czechlist@egroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Czechlist] quiche, silverware
                  >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 08:06:50 EDT

                  If you wanted to buy a box of knives, forks, spoons etc it would just be
                  called a set of cutlery, not "cutlery with forks and spoons thrown in". My
                  dictionary says "knives, forks and spoons for domestic use".

                  Lindsay

                  >Cutlery is generally used to mean cutting utensils. Webster's New World
                  >includes spoons in its secondary definition of cutlery, but when I think of
                  >cutlery I never think of spoons or forks. A set of cutlery would mean a
                  >set
                  >of varying types of knives. No spoons or forks.
                  >
                  >Jamie

                  http://profiles.msn.com
                • Lindsay Lockyer
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                    >From: "Melvyn Clarke" <zehrovak@...>

                    I understand silverware to be anything either made of silver, or silver
                    plated.

                    Lindsay

                    http://profiles.msn.com
                  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                      In a message dated 10/2/00 10:40:23 AM, Jetlk@... writes:

                      >Dear Jamie,

                      Go on! :-)
                    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                        In a message dated 10/2/00 11:12:06 AM, lindsaylockyer@... writes:

                        >If you wanted to buy a box of knives, forks, spoons etc it would just be
                        >called a set of cutlery, not "cutlery with forks and spoons thrown in".
                        > My dictionary says "knives, forks and spoons for domestic use".

                        In normal usage, I always understood cutlery to be cutting utensils and when
                        combined with forks, spoons and other implements it is usually called
                        "tableware". I insist that this is normal US usage. Of course, there is
                        also "flatware".

                        JK
                      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                          In a message dated 10/2/00 11:15:18 AM, lindsaylockyer@... writes:

                          >I understand silverware to be anything either made of silver, or silver
                          >plated.

                          Even jewelry or a tooth filling?
                        • Jetlk@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                            Sorry,
                            have anew mouse and twitching finger!!!!!
                            Liba
                          • Barendregt
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                              From my practical experience (as a server, no dictionaries used), I can
                              say that we used the word "silverware" for any metal spoons, forks, and
                              knives (we had some implements made of silver, usually used for serving,
                              but most were just stainless steel). "Cutlery" was never used and I
                              suspect that in American English it is virtually extinct. Incidentally,
                              our pots and fruit punch bowls, etc. (in the restaurant) were sometimes
                              referred to as silverware because they were made of silver and needed
                              special treatment (pain in the neck!).
                              I would even support Jamie's assertion that you may come across "plastic
                              silverware" (I would probably tend to use "disposable" instead of
                              "plastic" just to feel better about it) - since we (in the US) do not
                              use the word "cutlery", what else is left to describe "spoons, forks,
                              and knives" than silverware? I think the word itself is now pretty much
                              independent of the original meaning of one of its components (yep, I am
                              referring to silver).

                              Tom
                            • jpelka@seznam.cz
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                                --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

                                > In a message dated 10/2/00 11:12:06 AM, lindsaylockyer@h... writes:
                                >
                                > >If you wanted to buy a box of knives, forks, spoons etc it would
                                just be
                                > >called a set of cutlery, not "cutlery with forks and spoons thrown
                                in".
                                > > My dictionary says "knives, forks and spoons for domestic use".
                                >
                                > In normal usage, I always understood cutlery to be cutting utensils
                                and when
                                > combined with forks, spoons and other implements it is usually
                                called
                                > "tableware". I insist that this is normal US usage. Of course,
                                there is
                                > also "flatware".
                                >
                                > JK

                                To make it more topic and interesting, in my EU document, there was
                                an item called
                                "Cutlery, flatware, and silverware".

                                Very interesting discussion, indeed, guys (and girls?).

                                Jirka P.

                                PS Another Q. - does "guys" include "girls", too (as I assume), or,
                                in order to be PC (politically correct), one has to say "guys and
                                girls"?
                              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                                  In a message dated 10/2/00 12:50:32 PM, barendregt@... writes:

                                  >I would even support Jamie's assertion that you may come across "plastic
                                  >silverware" (I would probably tend to use "disposable" instead of
                                  >"plastic" just to feel better about it) - since we (in the US) do not
                                  >use the word "cutlery", what else is left to describe "spoons, forks,
                                  >and knives" than silverware? I think the word itself is now pretty much
                                  >independent of the original meaning of one of its components (yep, I am
                                  >referring to silver).

                                  I would have to disagree that the term "cutlery" is not used in the US. It
                                  is used frequently, particularly in advertising, but only to refer to kitchen
                                  and dining utensils that cut. Which sort of makes sense, doesn't it?

                                  Jamie
                                • Michael Grant
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 2, 2000
                                    >I would have to disagree that the term "cutlery" is not used in the US. It
                                    >is used frequently, particularly in advertising, but only to refer to kitchen
                                    >and dining utensils that cut. Which sort of makes sense, doesn't it?

                                    My take is that the word is not all that frequently used, but when it
                                    is it can include forks and spoons. My AHD includes both definitions,
                                    plus a third: "the occupation of a cutler".
                                    :-)
                                    Michael

                                    Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
                                  • Lindsay Lockyer
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                      Jamie,

                                      Ach! No! You've got me there! No, silverware does not cover silver
                                      jewellery. And I didn't know anyone had silver tooth fillings. Would
                                      anyone really want to advertise the fact that they can't afford a gold one?

                                      Lindsay

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                        In a message dated 10/3/00 5:40:21 AM, lindsaylockyer@... writes:

                                        >Ach! No! You've got me there! No, silverware does not cover silver
                                        >jewellery. And I didn't know anyone had silver tooth fillings. Would
                                        >anyone really want to advertise the fact that they can't afford a gold
                                        >one?

                                        Another thing: Silverware will often be used to refer to stainless steel
                                        flatware, but the term will never include a steel coffee pot. So once the
                                        term is used for items that are not made of silver, it narrows.

                                        As for those fillings, I can't imagine a world where people don't have silver
                                        ones. Here the majority of people have either silver amalgam fillings or
                                        porcelain composite. Of course, people under 24 tend to have no fillings,
                                        because the preventive technology is better now than when I was a weester.

                                        Jamie
                                      • Lindsay Lockyer
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                          >Jamie wrote:
                                          >
                                          >In normal usage, I always understood cutlery to be cutting utensils and
                                          >when
                                          >combined with forks, spoons and other implements it is usually called
                                          >"tableware". I insist that this is normal US usage. Of course, there is
                                          >also "flatware".
                                          >
                                          >JK

                                          I haven't heard of flatware. What is it? Something flat? Like a plate?
                                          By tableware, I would think you were meaning all knives, forks, spoons and
                                          crockery ... and teapots and coffeepots: in fact anything that goes on a
                                          table. As for cutlery, if we're going to be ever so, *ever so* strict about
                                          it then a cutler deals with blades, not merely knives, so cutlery covers any
                                          blade: knives, swords, daggers, axes, machetes, halberds etc. However, your
                                          average person on the street (here) would understand cutlery to be knives,
                                          forks, spoons and so on. Now I shall bear in mind all you have said so I
                                          don't show myself up if I take a holiday in the US.

                                          : )
                                          Lindsay

                                          http://profiles.msn.com
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                            Lindsay Lockyer wrote:

                                            > I haven't heard of flatware. What is it? Something flat? Like a plate?

                                            My boring stereotype, a quote from Webster's:

                                            flatware, n.
                                            1. utensils, as knives, forks, and spoons, used at the table for serving and
                                            eating food.
                                            2. dishes or containers for the table that are more or less flat, as plates
                                            and saucers (distinguished from hollowware).

                                            I'd just add: How straightforward!

                                            Jirka Bolech
                                          • Michael Grant
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                              I just noticed some orange Halloween plasticware labeled "cutlery" at
                                              the grocery store--including knives, spoons, and forks. FWIW.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 3, 2000
                                                In a message dated 10/3/00 8:05:37 PM, mgrant@... writes:

                                                >I just noticed some orange Halloween plasticware labeled "cutlery" at
                                                >the grocery store--including knives, spoons, and forks. FWIW.

                                                How do the knives cut? :-)