Re: [Czechlist] Tray - urgent!!!

  • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
      > Dear Tomas,
      > I would definitely translate as "BEER MAT", coaster is a bit too posh for
      > pub!!!

      Well I'd agree that beermat's the name you'd hear most often, but if you
      look on the net you find "beer coaster" is very common too, particularly
      among collectors (but then collectors are a strange bunch anyway, aren't
      they?) and manufacturers.

      See http://members.aol.com/gbarone/sources.html for an example.
      [Beer coaster sources...Ad-Mat is the leading manufacturer of authentic
      European style pulp board coasters, sold throughout North, Central, and
      South America...]

      So to me both are acceptable. Coaster is definitely posher (and has a
      broader definition), but it's not _too_ posh.

      Rachel
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
        In a message dated 10/2/00 5:26:57 AM, translations@... writes:

        >The generic term for these is "coaster", but in the specific context of
        >a pub I'd maybe go for "beer mat". (That of course applies only to the kind
        >you find in pubs, whereas coaster is both the kind you find in pubs and
        >the kind you would have at home.)

        "Beer mat" is better, because a coaster can be made of plastic or metal.
        There is a specific industry term for these paper beer mats that has slipped
        my mind at the moment. It's also possible to say "paper coaster", I think.

        Jamie
      • Miroslav Herold
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
          I have seen beer mats - used for collectibles.
          Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

          tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
          tel.: xx420 2 536549
          mobil: 0606 865870