Re: [Czechlist] Tray - urgent!!!

  • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
      > I am just checking a promotion of a brewery company in English. What is
      > English for a paper tray used in pubs. They are usually round with the
      logo
      > of the company and they protect the table from moisture.

      Hi Tomas,

      The generic term for these is "coaster", but in the specific context of a
      pub I'd maybe go for "beer mat". (That of course applies only to the kind
      you find in pubs, whereas coaster is both the kind you find in pubs and the
      kind you would have at home.)

      HTH,
      Rachel
    • Tomáš Skřont
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
        I am just checking a promotion of a brewery company in English. What is
        English for a paper tray used in pubs. They are usually round with the logo
        of the company and they protect the table from moisture.

        TIA for any quick help.

        Ing. Tomas SKRONT
        cheap, quick and reliable freelance Czech<>English translator

        Kurzova 12/2224, 155 00 Prague 5, Czech Rep.
        Tel/Fax: +420 2 56 156 77
        Mobile phone: + 420 602 712 923
        www.dtk.cz/tomasskront

        It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice!

      • Jetlk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
          Dear Tomas,
          Iwould definetely translate as "BEER MAT"
        • Jetlk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
            Dear Tomas,
            I would definitely translate as "BEER MAT", coaster is a bit too posh for a
            pub!!!
          • Lindsay Lockyer
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
              The little cardboard square you put your glass on? It's called a beermat.
              Some people like to collect them.

              Lindsay

              >From: Tom�� Sk�ont <skront@...>
              >To: "czechlist" <czechlist@egroups.com>
              >Subject: [Czechlist] Tray - urgent!!!
              >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 11:25:29 +0200
              >
              >I am just checking a promotion of a brewery company in English. What is
              >English for a paper tray used in pubs. They are usually round with the logo
              >of the company and they protect the table from moisture.
              >
              >TIA for any quick help.

              >Ing. Tomas SKRONT
              >cheap, quick and reliable freelance Czech<>English translator
              >
              >Kurzova 12/2224, 155 00 Prague 5, Czech Rep.
              >Tel/Fax: +420 2 56 156 77
              >Mobile phone: + 420 602 712 923
              >www.dtk.cz/tomasskront
              >
              >It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice!

              http://profiles.msn.com
            • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
                > Dear Tomas,
                > I would definitely translate as "BEER MAT", coaster is a bit too posh for
                > pub!!!

                Well I'd agree that beermat's the name you'd hear most often, but if you
                look on the net you find "beer coaster" is very common too, particularly
                among collectors (but then collectors are a strange bunch anyway, aren't
                they?) and manufacturers.

                See http://members.aol.com/gbarone/sources.html for an example.
                [Beer coaster sources...Ad-Mat is the leading manufacturer of authentic
                European style pulp board coasters, sold throughout North, Central, and
                South America...]

                So to me both are acceptable. Coaster is definitely posher (and has a
                broader definition), but it's not _too_ posh.

                Rachel
              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
                  In a message dated 10/2/00 5:26:57 AM, translations@... writes:

                  >The generic term for these is "coaster", but in the specific context of
                  >a pub I'd maybe go for "beer mat". (That of course applies only to the kind
                  >you find in pubs, whereas coaster is both the kind you find in pubs and
                  >the kind you would have at home.)

                  "Beer mat" is better, because a coaster can be made of plastic or metal.
                  There is a specific industry term for these paper beer mats that has slipped
                  my mind at the moment. It's also possible to say "paper coaster", I think.

                  Jamie
                • Miroslav Herold
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
                    I have seen beer mats - used for collectibles.
                    Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

                    tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
                    tel.: xx420 2 536549
                    mobil: 0606 865870