Re: [Czechlist] US grades

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
      In a message dated 10/1/00 9:28:58 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

      >Please, can you update me on how the US grades are worded?

      Frankly we don't generally word them. There's no ceremony after the
      maturitni zkousky. In fact, there are no maturitni zkousky! :-)

      >A - very good??, excellent??

      A = excellent

      >B - good??

      "Good" is okay for B.

      >C - OK? :-)))

      C = average (although give an American student a C, and he may file a
      grievance over the professor's insulting assertion that he is not gifted).

      >D - ??

      D = below average

      >E - ??
      >F - failed

      E and F both mean "failure". In Michigan (and I don't know where else) we
      use E. I think the whole rest of the known universe uses F instead.
      (Another way to put it is that where people drink "pop" they get E for
      failure. Where they drink "soda" they get F.) Thus, the scale goes ABCDE or
      ABCDF, depending on where you live.

      You may need to know these, too:

      W = withdrawal
      WP = withdrew passing
      WF = withdrew failing

      I = incomplete (i.e., The student has a good excuse for not finishing the
      course work and has a year to complete it, depending on the regulations of
      the school. In the absence of a good excuse, a good lawyer will do. If the
      student does not finish the coursework within the specified time, a grade of
      "I" automatically downgrades to an E/F.)

      P = pass
      F = fail

      Depending on the school, X can mean that the student was never seen in class
      at all, or did so little work before disappearing that it wouldn't be fair to
      give him a real grade. Other schools use X the same way they use an I. This
      is fun for the professor, because you may get a jerky student who deserves to
      fail based on his own laziness or dishonesty. If you issue this student an
      E, and he has transferred from a school where X means no grade at all, he is
      liable to file a grievance and petition for an X, not knowing that at his new
      school the X functions the same as an incomplete. As the professor, you can
      smile and be a hero by agreeing to give him his X, and then a semester later,
      the X turns into an E without you having done anything. The guy gets trumped
      by his own stupidity again!

      Jamie
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
        Thank you, Jamie.

        Kostas

        > >Please, can you update me on how the US grades are worded?
        >
        > Frankly we don't generally word them. There's no ceremony after the
        > maturitni zkousky. In fact, there are no maturitni zkousky! :-)
        >
        > >A - very good??, excellent??
        >
        > A = excellent
        >
        > >B - good??
        >
        > "Good" is okay for B.
        >
        > >C - OK? :-)))
        >
        > C = average (although give an American student a C, and he may file a
        > grievance over the professor's insulting assertion that he is not gifted).
        >
        > >D - ??
        >
        > D = below average
        >
        > >E - ??
        > >F - failed
        >
        > E and F both mean "failure". In Michigan (and I don't know where else) we
        > use E. I think the whole rest of the known universe uses F instead.
        > (Another way to put it is that where people drink "pop" they get E for
        > failure. Where they drink "soda" they get F.) Thus, the scale goes ABCDE
        or
        > ABCDF, depending on where you live.
        >
        > You may need to know these, too:
        >
        > W = withdrawal
        > WP = withdrew passing
        > WF = withdrew failing
        >
        > I = incomplete (i.e., The student has a good excuse for not finishing the
        > course work and has a year to complete it, depending on the regulations of
        > the school. In the absence of a good excuse, a good lawyer will do. If
        the
        > student does not finish the coursework within the specified time, a grade
        of
        > "I" automatically downgrades to an E/F.)
        >
        > P = pass
        > F = fail
        >
        > Depending on the school, X can mean that the student was never seen in
        class
        > at all, or did so little work before disappearing that it wouldn't be fair
        > give him a real grade. Other schools use X the same way they use an I.
        This
        > is fun for the professor, because you may get a jerky student who deserves
        > fail based on his own laziness or dishonesty. If you issue this student
        an
        > E, and he has transferred from a school where X means no grade at all, he
        is
        > liable to file a grievance and petition for an X, not knowing that at his
        new
        > school the X functions the same as an incomplete. As the professor, you
        can
        > smile and be a hero by agreeing to give him his X, and then a semester
        later,
        > the X turns into an E without you having done anything. The guy gets
        trumped
        > by his own stupidity again!
        >
        > Jamie

      • Michal Ginter
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
          > You may need to know these, too:

          > W = withdrawal
          > WP = withdrew passing
          > WF = withdrew failing

          What do these mean? Tx, M.
        • Kostas Zgafas
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
            > > W = withdrawal
            > > WP = withdrew passing
            > > WF = withdrew failing
            >
            > What do these mean? Tx, M.

            W (Withdrawal) applies when you change your mind and want to cancel the
            course during the semester. But you have to do it within a certain time
            after the semester begins.

            WP = withdrew passing (Hmmm, this sounds like something that I would like
            the most, but I must admit I see this nice option the first time, too. Maybe
            something new that can be arranged with a good lawyer.:-))

            WF = I guess if you withdraw too late. Is it right, Jamie?

            Kostas
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
              In a message dated 10/2/00 10:41:50 AM, michalginter@... writes:

              >> W = withdrawal
              >> WP = withdrew passing
              >> WF = withdrew failing
              >
              >What do these mean? Tx, M.

              That the student quit the course and will not receive a grade that will go
              into his average. Sometimes people have to withdraw from courses due to
              personal tragedies, because their employer suddenly forced them to work more
              hours, etc.

              JK
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
                In a message dated 10/2/00 11:04:51 AM, kzgafas@... writes:

                >W (Withdrawal) applies when you change your mind and want to cancel the
                >course during the semester. But you have to do it within a certain time
                >after the semester begins.

                At many schools you can withdraw after the deadline if you get your
                instructor's signature. Before that you don't need the signature.

                >WP = withdrew passing (Hmmm, this sounds like something that I would like
                >the most, but I must admit I see this nice option the first time, too.
                >Maybe something new that can be arranged with a good lawyer.:-))
                >
                >WF = I guess if you withdraw too late. Is it right, Jamie?

                People getting WP are doing okay in the course but usually have to withdraw
                due to external circumstances (family problems, job demands, or in my class
                they have often underestimated the difficulty of the course and can't spare
                the time at the moment to do it right). People getting WF are doing failing
                work and are usually withdrawing so as to avoid a failing grade going into
                their average. Not every school makes this distinction with W grades.

                Jamie
              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
                  >Another way to put it is that where people drink "pop" they get E for
                  >failure. Where they drink "soda" they get F.

                  What do you get if you drink sody pop?
                  Michael

                  Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
                • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
                    In a message dated 10/2/00 10:00:30 PM, mgrant@... writes:

                    >>Another way to put it is that where people drink "pop" they get E for
                    >>failure. Where they drink "soda" they get F.

                    >What do you get if you drink sody pop?

                    I don't think that in sody pop country they even go to school, do they? ;-)
                  • Lindsay Lockyer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                      >From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>
                      >To: Czechlist@egroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [Czechlist] US grades
                      >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 20:51:05 -0500
                      >
                      > >Another way to put it is that where people drink "pop" they get E for
                      > >failure. Where they drink "soda" they get F.
                      >
                      >What do you get if you drink sody pop?
                      >Michael

                      Flatulence?

                      Lindsay