Re: [Czechlist] ODDYCHOVY AND SPOLECENSKY CASOPIS??

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
      On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 06:20 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

      > > - spolecenske casopisy
      >
      > 'social magazines'...

      I don't agree with this one. "Social magazine" doesn't exist, as far
      as I know, and I don't think English speakers would understand what
      that meant. We do have "society magazines", which are the type that
      show bad photos of Karel Gott, Helena Vondraskova and Lucie Bila at
      parties, or if they're not party animals, walking down the street
      trying not to be recognized. They are basically gossip magazines for
      more literate readers.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
        >> 'social magazines'...

        > I don't agree with this one.

        That was my blind shot. It seems like this expressions is used in non-native
        English only. As a matter of fact 'gossip' was another attributive that
        occurred to me at the same time but I thought it was much too the same as
        'tabloid'.

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
          On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 07:20 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

          > >> 'social magazines'...
          >
          > > I don't agree with this one.
          >
          > That was my blind shot. It seems like this expressions is used in
          > non-native
          > English only. As a matter of fact 'gossip' was another attributive that
          > occurred to me at the same time but I thought it was much too the same
          > as
          > 'tabloid'.

          Actually, "tabloid" is a strange term itself, because it mixes gossip
          and sensationalist journalism, so it's bulvarni.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
            By the way, a sub-category of investigative report is "investigative
            interview".

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
              > Actually, "tabloid" is a strange term itself, because it mixes gossip
              and sensationalist journalism, so it's bulvarni.

              And here's how the format, or size, and the word got its birth:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadsheet...