Re: [Czechlist] More magazine stuff: Kauzy?? Was oddychove...

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hot issues?

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
        On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 06:34 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

        > One more thing - in a list of topics every magazine should have,
        > there's
        > "Kauzy", meaning in-depth articles on something, a famous person, an
        > event
        > or affair (the footbal bribery), etc., there's reportaze and rozhovory
        > etc.
        > too, not sure why they make this a special category, and no idea what
        > should
        > it be in ENG - any ideas???

        Kauzy are "investigative reports" (countable) or "investigative
        reporting" (non-countable).

        Reportaze = reports

        Rozhovor = interview

      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
          > Hot issues?

          No jo, ja jsem taky premyslel o Headline stories etc., ale to nepokryva
          clanek o nejakem cloveku, treba uz mrtvem... a feature story co navrhuje
          Jirka je neco jineho, to je hlavni tema toho ktereho cisla, ke kteremu s
          vztahuje obalka... tohle je vetsinou vedlejsi zalezitost.. blbe se to
          preklada apokud si vzpominam na me zurnalisticke roky, v ENG publishing
          speaku zadna podobna kategorie neni - Jamie?

        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005

            > Kauzy are "investigative reports" (countable) or "investigative
            > reporting" (non-countable).

            Well, it would sound like investigative - and may be in certain mags and in
            certain issues, but they include biographical pieces on famous people in it
            too - that's hardly investigative, is it?? No idea why they do this, but for
            example Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately), has a regular section called
            "Causa" and it's always a detailed article on the life of an (usually dead)
            famous person, like a philosopher, architect, musucuan, artist,
            politician.... I guess they mean the legal and Latin meaning of the word
            here, something like "Vec:" (Re:), but this stupid report combines it with
            investigative pieces, for some reason...

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
              <czechlist@t...> wrote:
              > Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately),

              Quite a good read these days, I'd say. Nice mix of highbrow and
              lowbrow (another way of differentiating leisure magazines from more
              serious publications - but probably too informal for your
              requirements. Tabloid-style might be contrasted with 'broadsheet-
              style' perhaps, at a pinch.

              has a regular section called
              > "Causa" and it's always a detailed article on the life of an
              (usually dead)
              > famous person, like a philosopher, architect, musucuan, artist,
              > politician....

              I'd go for something like 'special (in-depth) feature'.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
                On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 07:26 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                > > Kauzy are "investigative reports" (countable) or "investigative
                > > reporting" (non-countable).
                > >

                > Well, it would sound like investigative - and may be in certain mags
                > and in
                > certain issues, but they include biographical pieces on famous people
                > in it
                > too - that's hardly investigative, is it??

                Yes, it definitely can be, if the reporter is getting the dirt on
                someone, or showing him "warts and all", as we say.

                > No idea why they do this, but for
                > example Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately), has a regular section called
                > "Causa" and it's always a detailed article on the life of an (usually
                > dead)
                > famous person, like a philosopher, architect, musucuan, artist,
                > politician.... I guess they mean the legal and Latin meaning of the
                > word
                > here, something like "Vec:" (Re:), but this stupid report combines it
                > with
                > investigative pieces, for some reason...

                You can call it "in-depth reporting" (non-countable) or an "in-depth
                report" (countable).

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005

                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
                  > <czechlist@t...> wrote:
                  > > Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately),
                  >
                  > Quite a good read these days, I'd say. Nice mix of highbrow and
                  > lowbrow (another way of differentiating leisure magazines from
                  more
                  > serious publications

                  Not such a good idea, on second thoughts, because of course you can
                  get highbrow leisure publications too. Duhhh.

                  M.
                • Terminus Technicus
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
                    Thanks to Jirka, Jamie and Melvyn (in order of appearance) for suggestions,
                    I decided to go with:

                    leisure mags, current-affair mags and in-depth feature in the end - they fit
                    the description I have in the report best.

                    Matej