RE: [Czechlist] More magazine stuff: Kauzy?? Was oddychove...

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
      > "Kauzy"

      Could this be like 'feature article'?

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
        Hot issues?

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
          On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 06:34 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

          > One more thing - in a list of topics every magazine should have,
          > there's
          > "Kauzy", meaning in-depth articles on something, a famous person, an
          > event
          > or affair (the footbal bribery), etc., there's reportaze and rozhovory
          > etc.
          > too, not sure why they make this a special category, and no idea what
          > should
          > it be in ENG - any ideas???

          Kauzy are "investigative reports" (countable) or "investigative
          reporting" (non-countable).

          Reportaze = reports

          Rozhovor = interview

        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
            > Hot issues?

            No jo, ja jsem taky premyslel o Headline stories etc., ale to nepokryva
            clanek o nejakem cloveku, treba uz mrtvem... a feature story co navrhuje
            Jirka je neco jineho, to je hlavni tema toho ktereho cisla, ke kteremu s
            vztahuje obalka... tohle je vetsinou vedlejsi zalezitost.. blbe se to
            preklada apokud si vzpominam na me zurnalisticke roky, v ENG publishing
            speaku zadna podobna kategorie neni - Jamie?

          • Terminus Technicus
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005

              > Kauzy are "investigative reports" (countable) or "investigative
              > reporting" (non-countable).

              Well, it would sound like investigative - and may be in certain mags and in
              certain issues, but they include biographical pieces on famous people in it
              too - that's hardly investigative, is it?? No idea why they do this, but for
              example Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately), has a regular section called
              "Causa" and it's always a detailed article on the life of an (usually dead)
              famous person, like a philosopher, architect, musucuan, artist,
              politician.... I guess they mean the legal and Latin meaning of the word
              here, something like "Vec:" (Re:), but this stupid report combines it with
              investigative pieces, for some reason...

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
                <czechlist@t...> wrote:
                > Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately),

                Quite a good read these days, I'd say. Nice mix of highbrow and
                lowbrow (another way of differentiating leisure magazines from more
                serious publications - but probably too informal for your
                requirements. Tabloid-style might be contrasted with 'broadsheet-
                style' perhaps, at a pinch.

                has a regular section called
                > "Causa" and it's always a detailed article on the life of an
                (usually dead)
                > famous person, like a philosopher, architect, musucuan, artist,
                > politician....

                I'd go for something like 'special (in-depth) feature'.

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
                  On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 07:26 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                  > > Kauzy are "investigative reports" (countable) or "investigative
                  > > reporting" (non-countable).
                  > >

                  > Well, it would sound like investigative - and may be in certain mags
                  > and in
                  > certain issues, but they include biographical pieces on famous people
                  > in it
                  > too - that's hardly investigative, is it??

                  Yes, it definitely can be, if the reporter is getting the dirt on
                  someone, or showing him "warts and all", as we say.

                  > No idea why they do this, but for
                  > example Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately), has a regular section called
                  > "Causa" and it's always a detailed article on the life of an (usually
                  > dead)
                  > famous person, like a philosopher, architect, musucuan, artist,
                  > politician.... I guess they mean the legal and Latin meaning of the
                  > word
                  > here, something like "Vec:" (Re:), but this stupid report combines it
                  > with
                  > investigative pieces, for some reason...

                  You can call it "in-depth reporting" (non-countable) or an "in-depth
                  report" (countable).

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005

                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
                    > <czechlist@t...> wrote:
                    > > Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately),
                    >
                    > Quite a good read these days, I'd say. Nice mix of highbrow and
                    > lowbrow (another way of differentiating leisure magazines from
                    more
                    > serious publications

                    Not such a good idea, on second thoughts, because of course you can
                    get highbrow leisure publications too. Duhhh.

                    M.
                  • Terminus Technicus
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1, 2005
                      Thanks to Jirka, Jamie and Melvyn (in order of appearance) for suggestions,
                      I decided to go with:

                      leisure mags, current-affair mags and in-depth feature in the end - they fit
                      the description I have in the report best.

                      Matej