Re: [Czechlist] Healing

  • Alena Ockova
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
      --- Terminus Technicus <czechlist@...> wrote:
      > Healing crystals, pyramids, holotrophy breathing,
      > ... etc,. etc. - hippie
      > schemes
      ...and often spiritual healing, too

      - I guess the closest Czech equivalent (a
      > bit less glamorous) is
      > lecitele, netradicni medicina, etc.

      ...alternativni lecba, komplementarni terapie apod....

      Alena

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
        On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 05:54 AM, ing.Sarka Rubkova wrote:

        > what is "new age healing" in the following part of the sentence
        >
        > Santa Cruz, famous for its Boardwalk, the oldest beachfront amusement
        > park
        > on the West Coast, its surfing museum and its attraction to new age
        > healing

        "New Age" is a spiritual or religious movement that basically believes
        in everything -- and I mean EVERYTHING -- that's rejected by
        traditional Western religion. They reject pretty much all of
        Christianity as superstition, but they are liable to believe that (as
        in the case of a woman I knew) someone is personally guided through
        life by the spirit of some Chinese warrior from 10,000 years ago. They
        pretty much believe anything if it's an "alternative" to tradition, no
        matter how bizarre it is.

        "New Age healing" stems from the same thing, and it basically rejects
        modern medical approaches to medicine. Mainly it goes after a lot of
        imagined illnesses using therapies that involve pleasant smells and
        other things like that. Tragically, however, sometimes they try to
        treat things like cancer with it, and then the person dies. (This
        happened to a young woman I used to know.)

        Basically, it's alternative medicine with weird "New Age" spiritualism
        mixed in.

      • Zemedelec@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
          What about lecitel or hojitel? They're often the same thing in a glossy new
          box, and often quite effective.

          Zemedelec