More magazine stuff: Kauzy?? Was oddychove...

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1 3:34 AM
      > 'leisure magazines', and

      Sounds good.....

      > 'social magazines'...

      'fraid not, that would be "drug addict's weekly" - I'll stick with
      current-affairs, I think...

      One more thing - in a list of topics every magazine should have, there's
      "Kauzy", meaning in-depth articles on something, a famous person, an event
      or affair (the footbal bribery), etc., there's reportaze and rozhovory etc.
      too, not sure why they make this a special category, and no idea what should
      it be in ENG - any ideas???

      Thanks

      Matej
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1 3:41 AM
        > "Kauzy"

        Could this be like 'feature article'?

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1 3:42 AM
          Hot issues?

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1 4:20 AM
            On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 06:34 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

            > One more thing - in a list of topics every magazine should have,
            > there's
            > "Kauzy", meaning in-depth articles on something, a famous person, an
            > event
            > or affair (the footbal bribery), etc., there's reportaze and rozhovory
            > etc.
            > too, not sure why they make this a special category, and no idea what
            > should
            > it be in ENG - any ideas???

            Kauzy are "investigative reports" (countable) or "investigative
            reporting" (non-countable).

            Reportaze = reports

            Rozhovor = interview

          • Terminus Technicus
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1 4:21 AM
              > Hot issues?

              No jo, ja jsem taky premyslel o Headline stories etc., ale to nepokryva
              clanek o nejakem cloveku, treba uz mrtvem... a feature story co navrhuje
              Jirka je neco jineho, to je hlavni tema toho ktereho cisla, ke kteremu s
              vztahuje obalka... tohle je vetsinou vedlejsi zalezitost.. blbe se to
              preklada apokud si vzpominam na me zurnalisticke roky, v ENG publishing
              speaku zadna podobna kategorie neni - Jamie?

            • Terminus Technicus
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1 4:26 AM

                > Kauzy are "investigative reports" (countable) or "investigative
                > reporting" (non-countable).

                Well, it would sound like investigative - and may be in certain mags and in
                certain issues, but they include biographical pieces on famous people in it
                too - that's hardly investigative, is it?? No idea why they do this, but for
                example Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately), has a regular section called
                "Causa" and it's always a detailed article on the life of an (usually dead)
                famous person, like a philosopher, architect, musucuan, artist,
                politician.... I guess they mean the legal and Latin meaning of the word
                here, something like "Vec:" (Re:), but this stupid report combines it with
                investigative pieces, for some reason...

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1 4:41 AM
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
                  <czechlist@t...> wrote:
                  > Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately),

                  Quite a good read these days, I'd say. Nice mix of highbrow and
                  lowbrow (another way of differentiating leisure magazines from more
                  serious publications - but probably too informal for your
                  requirements. Tabloid-style might be contrasted with 'broadsheet-
                  style' perhaps, at a pinch.

                  has a regular section called
                  > "Causa" and it's always a detailed article on the life of an
                  (usually dead)
                  > famous person, like a philosopher, architect, musucuan, artist,
                  > politician....

                  I'd go for something like 'special (in-depth) feature'.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1 4:41 AM
                    On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 07:26 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                    > > Kauzy are "investigative reports" (countable) or "investigative
                    > > reporting" (non-countable).
                    > >

                    > Well, it would sound like investigative - and may be in certain mags
                    > and in
                    > certain issues, but they include biographical pieces on famous people
                    > in it
                    > too - that's hardly investigative, is it??

                    Yes, it definitely can be, if the reporter is getting the dirt on
                    someone, or showing him "warts and all", as we say.

                    > No idea why they do this, but for
                    > example Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately), has a regular section called
                    > "Causa" and it's always a detailed article on the life of an (usually
                    > dead)
                    > famous person, like a philosopher, architect, musucuan, artist,
                    > politician.... I guess they mean the legal and Latin meaning of the
                    > word
                    > here, something like "Vec:" (Re:), but this stupid report combines it
                    > with
                    > investigative pieces, for some reason...

                    You can call it "in-depth reporting" (non-countable) or an "in-depth
                    report" (countable).

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1 4:48 AM

                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
                      > <czechlist@t...> wrote:
                      > > Reflex (yes, very gossipy lately),
                      >
                      > Quite a good read these days, I'd say. Nice mix of highbrow and
                      > lowbrow (another way of differentiating leisure magazines from
                      more
                      > serious publications

                      Not such a good idea, on second thoughts, because of course you can
                      get highbrow leisure publications too. Duhhh.

                      M.
                    • Terminus Technicus
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 1 5:47 AM
                        Thanks to Jirka, Jamie and Melvyn (in order of appearance) for suggestions,
                        I decided to go with:

                        leisure mags, current-affair mags and in-depth feature in the end - they fit
                        the description I have in the report best.

                        Matej