ODDYCHOVY AND SPOLECENSKY CASOPIS??

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi list,

      struggling with a poorly-written consummer survey report on magazines, can't
      come up with a good idea for the following classification of magazines:

      - oddychove casopisy (they mean something one reads in a tram, something
      that's not too serious, but not just tabloids...definition: témata pro
      chvíle volna, nijak nárocného zamerení, zábavná, ale i praktická (viz.
      tituly pro zeny - rady do domácnosti apod.))...

      have free-time magazines as a tentative solution, but not happy with it...

      - spolecenske casopisy (meaning current affair stuff, like tyden and Reflex
      in CZ, or Time/Newsweek elsewhere), perhaps current affair magazines is a
      good solution, but don't we have something shorter??

      Thanks for suggestions

      Matej
    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
        leisure-time magazines?
        H.

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
          Hi Matej,

          as there probably isn't one broadly accepted way of classifying periodicals
          I dare suggest calling

          > - oddychove casopisy

          'leisure magazines', and

          > - spolecenske casopisy

          'social magazines'...

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
            On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 05:27 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

            > Hi list,
            >
            > struggling with a poorly-written consummer survey report on magazines,
            > can't
            > come up with a good idea for the following classification of magazines:
            >
            > - oddychove casopisy (they mean something one reads in a tram,
            > something
            > that's not too serious, but not just tabloids...definition: témata pro
            > chvíle volna, nijak nárocného zamerení, zábavná, ale i praktická (viz.
            > tituly pro zeny - rady do domácnosti apod.))...
            >
            > have free-time magazines as a tentative solution, but not happy with
            > it...

            I think these would be called "leisure magazines" or "leisure
            publications". All together with certain kinds of books, they are
            called "leisure reading", at least in the US. If they are aimed at a
            certain demographic group that lives a certain way, they are called
            "lifestyle magazines". Betinka would be a lifestyle magazine.

            > - spolecenske casopisy (meaning current affair stuff, like tyden and
            > Reflex
            > in CZ, or Time/Newsweek elsewhere), perhaps current affair magazines
            > is a
            > good solution, but don't we have something shorter??

            Time, Newsweek, Der Spiegel and Tyden are called "news magazines".
            Reflex and Mlady svet are not exactly news magazines, but might be
            considered "current affairs magazines" (with "affairs" in the plural).
            I think you're stuck with that long term, unless I can think of
            something shorter in the next couple of hours. The two classifications
            together would be called "current affairs magazines", but in a real
            stretch you might be able to call Reflex and Mlady svet "news
            magazines". However, those two get dangerously close to being "gossip
            magazines" to really be considered hard news mags.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
              On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 06:20 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

              > > - spolecenske casopisy
              >
              > 'social magazines'...

              I don't agree with this one. "Social magazine" doesn't exist, as far
              as I know, and I don't think English speakers would understand what
              that meant. We do have "society magazines", which are the type that
              show bad photos of Karel Gott, Helena Vondraskova and Lucie Bila at
              parties, or if they're not party animals, walking down the street
              trying not to be recognized. They are basically gossip magazines for
              more literate readers.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                >> 'social magazines'...

                > I don't agree with this one.

                That was my blind shot. It seems like this expressions is used in non-native
                English only. As a matter of fact 'gossip' was another attributive that
                occurred to me at the same time but I thought it was much too the same as
                'tabloid'.

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                  On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 07:20 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

                  > >> 'social magazines'...
                  >
                  > > I don't agree with this one.
                  >
                  > That was my blind shot. It seems like this expressions is used in
                  > non-native
                  > English only. As a matter of fact 'gossip' was another attributive that
                  > occurred to me at the same time but I thought it was much too the same
                  > as
                  > 'tabloid'.

                  Actually, "tabloid" is a strange term itself, because it mixes gossip
                  and sensationalist journalism, so it's bulvarni.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                    By the way, a sub-category of investigative report is "investigative
                    interview".

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                      > Actually, "tabloid" is a strange term itself, because it mixes gossip
                      and sensationalist journalism, so it's bulvarni.

                      And here's how the format, or size, and the word got its birth:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadsheet...