Strange TERM: Dumplatch

  • Hana Jarolímová
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 1:11 AM
      Dear all!

      I am trying to find out the meaning of a Dumplatch seat.

      I have been googling but found the Dutch translation (kantelknop) and
      Dumplatch passenger seat translated as nedfaeldeligt passagersaede
      (Swedish???). There are not any other hits. Source: General Motors workshop
      documentation. Maybe mistranslation from German (but Dumplatsch gives no
      hits either). By the way, the seat looks pretty normal.

      TIA for tips, hints, and advice.

      regards
      Hana
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1 3:54 AM
        If this is automotive, it's probably a seat that can be released (maybe
        folded down) by releasing a "dump latch". Normally, it's a certain
        type of latch that opens hoppers and other containers that are filled
        with grain, gravel, grass or other materials that someone wants to
        dump. I'm figuring that these seats are designed using the same kind
        of latch (a dump latch) rather than some other, more traditional latch.
        My guess is that once one releases the dump latch, the seat will come
        down with the help of gravity, rather than having to be pushed down
        hard. At least this is what I picture to myself.

        Search "dump latch" in quotes on Yahoo!, go to Images, and you'll see
        pictures of a couple of these latches.

        Jamie

        On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 04:11 AM, Hana Jarol�mov� wrote:

        > Dear all!
        >
        > I am trying to find out the meaning of a Dumplatch seat.
        >
        > I have been googling but found the Dutch translation (kantelknop) and
        > Dumplatch passenger seat translated as nedfaeldeligt passagersaede
        > (Swedish???). There are not any other hits. Source: General Motors
        > workshop
        > documentation. Maybe mistranslation from German (but Dumplatsch gives
        > no
        > hits either). By the way, the seat looks pretty normal.
        >
        > TIA for tips, hints, and advice.
        >
        > regards
        > Hana
        >

        > Czechlist resources:
        >
        > Dog Eat Blog - Patrick's totally clued-in Prague blog:
        > http://www.prague-spot.com/blog

        <image.tiff>

        > �
        > �

      • Beata Rodlingova
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1 10:47 AM
          Just to second Jamie's suggestion, the Scandinavian translation you
          found does indeed refer to (literally) "a passenger's seat that falls
          down [by itself]".
          B.
        • Hana Jarolímová
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1 1:10 PM