Re: [Czechlist] TIN

  • Miroslav Herold
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
      Not exactly. You can also be registered as "dobrovolny platce DPH".
      BR
      Mirek
      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
      tel.: xx420 2 536549
      mobil: 0606 865870
      >We distinguish between income tax and VAT in the CR:
      >1) income tax - paid by all business entities (registered as DIC - tax
      >identification number)
      >2) VAT - paid extra next to the income tax only by business entities
      >exceeding certain annual income.

    • Miroslav Herold
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
        Well, that is rather strange. Insofar, I have not met anybody with DIC who
        is not "platce DPH".
        BR
        Mirek
        Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

        tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
        tel.: xx420 2 536549
        mobil: 0606 865870

        >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income tax, not VAT!

      • Radovan Pletka
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
          At 10:26 AM 10/1/00 EDT, you wrote:

          >In a message dated 10/1/00 8:48:07 AM, pletka@... writes:
          >
          >What type of insurance do you use, for example, if your agency's translation
          >winds up causing legal problems? When I worked for ad agencies, I used to
          >catch mistranslations in automotive brochures and other ads that were just a
          >product liability suit waiting to happen. The account executives always
          said
          >the translation house had agreed to take responsibility for things like
          this,
          >but often the translation company was clearly not big enough to handle a
          >multi-million-dollar product liability suit against a Big Three automotive
          >manufacturer, and when I talked directly to these companies, it appeared
          they
          >had no clue what their real legal exposure was if they flubbed a word in
          >these jobs, or even chose the wrong synonym. How should these agencies
          >properly deal with that?

          They should have somebody like you on payroll to catch this. This is the
          issue of strict quality, which is necessary in certain type of jobs (your
          brochures are a good example). Another one is instruction manual for
          nuclear fuel, hearth defibrilator, plane repair manual, $50 mil contract,
          etc, etc.
          There was no court case against US translator or TA based on poor
          translation up top now, as far as I know, but it is an trouble waiting to
          happen. As long as you don't have any large assets and no insurance, you
          are probably fine, but when you have $$$$ and/or insurance, you will have
          to deal with it soon or later.

          Good old US rule - Cover your ASS is always applicable here.
          I am dealing with it by doing the best job I cab, by not taking the stuff
          way over my head, and by having (usually paid - I am factoring it into my
          prices) access to top expert people, who can advice me about stuff I don't
          know and proof the stuff I am doing.
          Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
          P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
          Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
          pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
          www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
          Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
          free to request a sample (-:
          Subscription $30 per year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing later in
          the year)
          (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
        • Tomás Skøont
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
            So, I am the first one.

            Tomas Skront
            > Well, that is rather strange. Insofar, I have not met anybody with DIC who
            > is not "platce DPH".
            > BR
            > Mirek
            > Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.
            >
            > tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
            > tel.: xx420 2 536549
            > mobil: 0606 865870
            > >
            > >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income tax, not VAT!

          • Palik
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
              > >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income
              > tax, not VAT!

              In CR, the DIC is an identification number for a payer of *any* tax - real
              estate tax, income tax, VAT, ...whichever it could be. That means that you
              need not be a VAT-payer and still you may be assigned a DIC. The revenue
              office distinguishes the different taxes by the respective account numbers -
              but the identification of the paying subjects is always the same: their
              DICs.
              (This information was confirmed by a tax adviser.)

              Love
              Vlasta
              ---
              Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
            • Otto Pacholik
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                > So, I am the first one.

                And I am the second and surely not the last one. As soon as you want to be
                self-employed it is mandatory to be registered with your tax office. Those
                people in the Czech Republic having no DIC can just run into problems. DIC
                is nothing more and nothing less than confirmation of the fact you have
                registered yourself as a taxpayer with your respective tax office. Having
                DIC enables you to register as a taxpayer of any taxes you "wish" (income
                tax, road tax, VAT).

                Otto