Re: [Czechlist] Help: myslivost - vyssi hospodarske zkousky

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      I'm affraid it will often mean economic/business - there's lots of "soukroma
      hospodarska skola" and similar contradiction in terms around... not to be
      confused with "hospodynska skola" (household-management school) - My granny,
      bless her soul, went through one of these back in 1920's and learned more
      than if she'd attended five universities...

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
        What did they teach in those hospodynske skoly? I think one of the
        characters in Zelary attended such a school (but skipped most of the
        classes) - I assumed it was some kind of "home ec[onomics]" course.

        Judy

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
        <czechlist@t...> wrote:
        > I'm affraid it will often mean economic/business - there's lots of
        "soukroma
        > hospodarska skola" and similar contradiction in terms around... not
        to be
        > confused with "hospodynska skola" (household-management school) - My
        granny,
        > bless her soul, went through one of these back in 1920's and learned
        more
        > than if she'd attended five universities...

      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
          The one my granny went to taught everything from cooking, cleaning,
          baby-care, animal-care, gardening... to home economics, calligraphy (they
          called it just "writting" then, but it was calligraphy, granny would be very
          unhappy with our haphazard handwritting and she would make me draw car
          wheels by circling coins - my elipsoids were too much for her
          aesthetics...), and I presume some sort of basic literature and what's what
          as well - it was the only school granny went to and she never traveled
          further than some "lazne" (in Moravia, Karlovy Vary were too far), but she
          knew a lot about lots of things at 80 years of age...

          Everytime I meet a graduate from one of those "kindergarten" high schools
          called vyssi ekonomicka this and that and the like, I think they would be
          much better off with what granny went to, without being sexist or suggesting
          they become hausfraus (there's men graduating from those too), I just think
          that whatever they taught at that school, it prepared people for life (real
          life, not just home-making) better than most current curriculae (is that the
          right plural form?)

          > What did they teach in those hospodynske skoly? I think one of the
          > characters in Zelary attended such a school (but skipped most of the
          > classes) - I assumed it was some kind of "home ec[onomics]" course.
          >

          > Judy
          >
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus"
          > <czechlist@t...> wrote:
          > > I'm affraid it will often mean economic/business - there's lots of
          > "soukroma
          > > hospodarska skola" and similar contradiction in terms around... not
          > to be
          > > confused with "hospodynska skola" (household-management school) - My
          > granny,
          > > bless her soul, went through one of these back in 1920's and learned
          > more
          > > than if she'd attended five universities...

        • jsyeaton
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
            <czechlist@t...> wrote:
            > The one my granny went to taught everything from cooking, cleaning,
            > baby-care, animal-care, gardening... to home economics, calligraphy
            (they
            > called it just "writting" then, but it was calligraphy, granny would
            be very
            > unhappy with our haphazard handwritting and she would make me draw car
            > wheels by circling coins - my elipsoids were too much for her
            > aesthetics...), and I presume some sort of basic literature and
            what's what
            > as well - it was the only school granny went to and she never traveled
            > further than some "lazne" (in Moravia, Karlovy Vary were too far),
            but she
            > knew a lot about lots of things at 80 years of age...
            >
            > Everytime I meet a graduate from one of those "kindergarten" high
            schools
            > called vyssi ekonomicka this and that and the like, I think they
            would be
            > much better off with what granny went to, without being sexist or
            suggesting
            > they become hausfraus (there's men graduating from those too), I
            just think
            > that whatever they taught at that school, it prepared people for
            life (real
            > life, not just home-making) better than most current curriculae (is
            that the
            > right plural form?)

            Your granny may just have been keeping her eyes (and mind) open for 80
            years and not simply remembering what some teacher told her. But if
            her school taught her to do that it was worth whatever tuition she paid.

            Curriculum is neuter, pl. curricula.

            Judy

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005

              > Your granny may just have been keeping her eyes (and mind) open for 80
              > years and not simply remembering what some teacher told her. But if
              > her school taught her to do that it was worth whatever tuition she paid.

              I think it was free :)