Re: [Czechlist] TIN

  • Miroslav Herold
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
      Not exactly. You can also be registered as "dobrovolny platce DPH".
      BR
      Mirek
      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
      tel.: xx420 2 536549
      mobil: 0606 865870
      >We distinguish between income tax and VAT in the CR:
      >1) income tax - paid by all business entities (registered as DIC - tax
      >identification number)
      >2) VAT - paid extra next to the income tax only by business entities
      >exceeding certain annual income.

    • Miroslav Herold
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
        Well, that is rather strange. Insofar, I have not met anybody with DIC who
        is not "platce DPH".

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
          In a message dated 10/1/00 8:48:07 AM, pletka@... writes:

          >Most of jurisdictions, which are incorporated (cities, counties, bigger
          >villages), have zoning boards, which requre a special permit to do any
          >bussiness activity in residential area - and as you surely know, your home
          >is generally in residential area. Even in Michigan they have zoning laws,
          >and if you don't obey them, they will get you soon or later.

          We have very strict zoning laws where I live, but they don't require a permit
          to run your business. The only way anyone knows or cares is if you have an
          EXCESSIVE number of clients pulling up and parking in front of your house.
          My neighbor gets visits from clients, and her rep parks out there, but it's
          evidently not enough to bother anybody, and nobody reports the traffic. Even
          if anyone did, the zoning enforcement authorities (the police) would treat it
          as excessive parking and come down on her for that, and not for her running a
          business at home.

          So this zoning ordinance dealing with running a business in your own home
          here is akin to other odd ones, such as the restriction against two unrelated
          people residing in the same dwelling. It's only on the books in case they
          have nothing else to use against someone causing other problems. If you're
          not luring teenagers into sex and drug parties, holding witch covens, running
          a religious brainwashing cult, or doing something else of serious community
          concern, absolutely no one cares, least of all the city or the police. There
          are even ordinances against certain sex positions, but the police say they
          are only enforced if they are done a public place, like a parking lot. The
          cops have no "undercover agents", they say.

          >The only big city in US, which doesn't have zoning laws, is Houston, but
          >there they are doing basically the same thourgh builders with very strict
          >covenants in any local community.

          There's a difference between the type of zoning law you're talking about, and
          these "covenants" that prevent residents from hanging wash out to dry, or
          from having a basketball hoop above the garage door instead of on a
          freestanding pole, or that won't let you park an old truck in your driveway.
          These covenants are not doing the same thing. There was even a horror movie
          made about a covenant community, but I defy you to find me any horror flick
          made about municipal zoning laws.

          >If you are running bussiness, which doesn't require clients coming to your
          >house, as translation for example, permit is usually not a problem.
          >If youa re running a bussiness without a permit, you can be hold liable
          >for serious money, as in msot jurisdictions you are requred to pay certain
          >small percentage of your gross income as a local tax.

          Not where I live.

          >Get legal or your local tax man and zoning police will get you (-:

          The zoning police are the regular police. My brother-in-law is one of the
          detectives. His wife runs a relatively massive business from their home.
          He's not a corrupt cop, so he would make her rent someplace to operate it, or
          else pay taxes, if the law required this. There's no mechanism here, as far
          as I know to tax a business that violates zoning ordinances, and you are more
          likely to get busted for keeping a small farm animal in the house than for
          running a translation or graphic design firm there.

          >You didn't do your homework, if you don't know this stuff. The probability
          >of getting into trouble for this is small, but if you will piss somebody
          >off and have bad luck at the same time, you can have your hands quite full
          >and you will need a good lawyer and some $$$ to clear this mess.

          The reason I don't know it is evidently because it isn't a problem where I
          live (which is the only place in the US I've ever lived).

          >Another important thing, which most of people forget, is to have so called
          >umbrella insurance, which is above your normal house/bussiness insurance
          >and kicks in only in case of some really serious troubles (way above your
          >usual insurance limits, which has to be depleted first). It is not
          >expensive (order of hundreds for 7 digits of coverage) and gives you
          >protection if you get into reallly serous troubles.

          What type of insurance do you use, for example, if your agency's translation
          winds up causing legal problems? When I worked for ad agencies, I used to
          catch mistranslations in automotive brochures and other ads that were just a
          product liability suit waiting to happen. The account executives always said
          the translation house had agreed to take responsibility for things like this,
          but often the translation company was clearly not big enough to handle a
          multi-million-dollar product liability suit against a Big Three automotive
          manufacturer, and when I talked directly to these companies, it appeared they
          had no clue what their real legal exposure was if they flubbed a word in
          these jobs, or even chose the wrong synonym. How should these agencies
          properly deal with that?

          Jamie
        • Radovan Pletka
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
            At 10:26 AM 10/1/00 EDT, you wrote:

            >In a message dated 10/1/00 8:48:07 AM, pletka@... writes:
            >
            >What type of insurance do you use, for example, if your agency's translation
            >winds up causing legal problems? When I worked for ad agencies, I used to
            >catch mistranslations in automotive brochures and other ads that were just a
            >product liability suit waiting to happen. The account executives always
            said
            >the translation house had agreed to take responsibility for things like
            this,
            >but often the translation company was clearly not big enough to handle a
            >multi-million-dollar product liability suit against a Big Three automotive
            >manufacturer, and when I talked directly to these companies, it appeared
            they
            >had no clue what their real legal exposure was if they flubbed a word in
            >these jobs, or even chose the wrong synonym. How should these agencies
            >properly deal with that?

            They should have somebody like you on payroll to catch this. This is the
            issue of strict quality, which is necessary in certain type of jobs (your
            brochures are a good example). Another one is instruction manual for
            nuclear fuel, hearth defibrilator, plane repair manual, $50 mil contract,
            etc, etc.
            There was no court case against US translator or TA based on poor
            translation up top now, as far as I know, but it is an trouble waiting to
            happen. As long as you don't have any large assets and no insurance, you
            are probably fine, but when you have $$$$ and/or insurance, you will have
            to deal with it soon or later.

            Good old US rule - Cover your ASS is always applicable here.
            I am dealing with it by doing the best job I cab, by not taking the stuff
            way over my head, and by having (usually paid - I am factoring it into my
            prices) access to top expert people, who can advice me about stuff I don't
            know and proof the stuff I am doing.
            Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
            P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
            Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
            pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
            www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
            Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
            free to request a sample (-:
            Subscription $30 per year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing later in
            the year)
            (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
          • Tomás Skøont
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
              So, I am the first one.

              Tomas Skront
              > Well, that is rather strange. Insofar, I have not met anybody with DIC who
              > is not "platce DPH".
              > BR
              > Mirek
              > Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.
              >
              > tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
              > tel.: xx420 2 536549
              > mobil: 0606 865870
              > >
              > >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income tax, not VAT!

            • Palik
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                > >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income
                > tax, not VAT!

                In CR, the DIC is an identification number for a payer of *any* tax - real
                estate tax, income tax, VAT, ...whichever it could be. That means that you
                need not be a VAT-payer and still you may be assigned a DIC. The revenue
                office distinguishes the different taxes by the respective account numbers -
                but the identification of the paying subjects is always the same: their
                DICs.
                (This information was confirmed by a tax adviser.)

                Love
                Vlasta
                ---
                Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
              • Otto Pacholik
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                  > So, I am the first one.

                  And I am the second and surely not the last one. As soon as you want to be
                  self-employed it is mandatory to be registered with your tax office. Those
                  people in the Czech Republic having no DIC can just run into problems. DIC
                  is nothing more and nothing less than confirmation of the fact you have
                  registered yourself as a taxpayer with your respective tax office. Having
                  DIC enables you to register as a taxpayer of any taxes you "wish" (income
                  tax, road tax, VAT).

                  Otto