Re: Help: Czech academia

  • spektrum2002
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
      > Would "qualified architect" be an appropriate
      > explanation/translation of "Ing.Arch."?
      "Ing.Arch." je oznaceni absolventa vysoke skoly zamerene na
      architekturu (napr. fakulty architektury CVUT). Nevim, jestli je tato
      skutecnost z vyrazu "qualified architect" dostatecne zrejma. Mohl
      byste "MUDr." prelozit jako "qualified physician?"
      > Finally, could someone explain to me what a "presencni studium"
      is?
      > Is it some sort of course where the student has to "attend" classes?
      Ano, prezencni studium je (celo)denni studium pro studenty, ketri
      nemaji jine zamestnani, na rozdil napr. od studia "dalkoveho"
      nebo "vecerniho", kde student behem dne dochazi do zamestnani a
      studuje v dobe, kdy ma volno.
      Petr Adamek
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
        Google searches are getting me BD, "Bachelor of Divinity" (not
        Divinities), and BTheol, Bachelor of Theology. That second one appears
        to be the most accurate, since you can study for the ministry without
        specializing in theology. These terms seem to be valid for the whole
        English-speaking world.

        Jamie

        On Monday, January 31, 2005, at 06:00 AM, coilinoc wrote:

        > Hi there folks,
        > Does anyone know precisely what the qualification ThBc. signifies in
        > English?� Am I right in assuming it's� something like a "Bachelor of
        > Divinities"?.� Is there an English abbreviation for this?
        >
        > Also, would "qualified architect" be an appropriate
        > explanation/translation of "Ing.Arch."?
        >
        > Finally, could someone explain to me what a "presencni studium" is?�
        > Is it some sort of course where the student has to "attend" classes?
        >
        > MTIA
        > Coilin
        >

        > Czechlist resources:
        >
        > Dog Eat Blog - Patrick's totally clued-in Prague blog:
        > http://www.prague-spot.com/blog

        <image.tiff>

        <image.tiff>

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
          On Monday, January 31, 2005, at 06:10 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

          > > Finally, could someone explain to me what a "presencni studium" is?
          > > Is it some sort of course where the student has to "attend" classes?
          >
          > Yes, as opposed to "korespondencni", "dalkove" and other forms...

          In the US, we would say an "on-campus program" or "on-campus study",
          meaning you actually have to come to school and put your hindquarters
          in the chair.

        • Alena Ockova
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
            --- coilinoc <coilinoc@...> wrote:

            > Also, would "qualified architect" be an appropriate
            > explanation/translation of "Ing.Arch."?
            "Ing.arch." is an architect who graduated from
            technical universities, e.g. CVUT, Fakulta
            architektury. An architect who graduated from art
            schools, e.g. Vysoka skola umeleckoprumyslova, would
            be an "akad.arch."

            > Finally, could someone explain to me what a
            > "presencni studium" is?
            > Is it some sort of course where the student has to
            > "attend" classes?
            Formerly, it was "denni studium". It is an equivalent
            of "full-time" studies here.

            BR
            Alena

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
              On Monday, January 31, 2005, at 06:28 AM, Alena Ockova wrote:

              > --- coilinoc <coilinoc@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Also, would "qualified architect" be an appropriate
              > > explanation/translation of "Ing.Arch."?
              > "Ing.arch." is an architect who graduated from
              > technical universities, e.g. CVUT, Fakulta
              > architektury. An architect who graduated from art
              > schools, e.g. Vysoka skola umeleckoprumyslova, would
              > be an "akad.arch."

              I'm wondering if this isn't the equivalent of a (US) master of science
              in architecture, as opposed to a master of arts in architecture.

            • spektrum2002
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                Myslim, ze to je presne ono.
                Petr Adamek
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                  Yes, these seem to be nearest equivalents.
                  Alena

                  --- James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                  > "Ing.arch." is an architect who graduated from
                  > > technical universities, e.g. CVUT, Fakulta
                  > > architektury. An architect who graduated from art
                  > > schools, e.g. Vysoka skola umeleckoprumyslova,
                  > would
                  > > be an "akad.arch."
                  >
                  > I'm wondering if this isn't the equivalent of a (US)
                  > master of science
                  > in architecture, as opposed to a master of arts in
                  > architecture.

                  > removed]

                • vera simpson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                    Hello

                    I have this sentence:
                    1. the Company`s written notice such requirements for any year shall be
                    final in the absence of any agreement between the parties for that year.

                    I need help with : shall be final in the absence of any agreement
                    between the parties for that year.

                    2. nothing in this agreement shall be construed as preventing the
                    distributor from responding to unsolicited request for the products .

                    Thanks to all of you who can help me.
                    Vera

                  • ing.Sárka Rubková
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                      Hi Coilin,

                      presencní studium je normalni studium. Proc se mu dnes rika presencni nikdo
                      vlastne nevi. Drive rikalo denni.

                      Ing.arch. is the title of architects graduated at architecture studies
                      technical university. A part of the study is also civil engineering.
                      Basically it is Master of Architecture.

                      Sarka

                    • ing.Sárka Rubková
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                        Hi,
                        as the architect, you cannot used the "certified" architect unless you are
                        member of the Chamber (it does not matter if is called NCARB (U.S.A.) or
                        RIBA (UK) or C^KA (here)). Not all architects are members of the Chamber
                        even though they practice their profession

                        Sarka

                      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                          Helo, Vera,
                          I have these suggestions for you:

                          The Company`s written notice (of) such requirements for any year shall
                          be final in the absence of any agreement between the parties for that
                          year.
                          = Písemné oznámení společnosti o takových požadavcích/nárocích za
                          libovolný rok bude konečné, pokud smluvní strany nebudou mít uzavřenou
                          pro daný rok žádnou (příslušnou) dohodu/smlouvu.

                          Nothing in this agreement shall be construed as preventing the
                          distributor from responding to unsolicited request for the products.
                          = Žádné ustanovení této smlouvy nebude vykládáno jako zákaz, který
                          distributorovi brání reagovat na spontánní poptávku po produktech.

                          HTH
                          Jarda

                        • vera simpson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                            Thanks to all, especially to Jarda it was very, very helpful.

                            Thanks Vera
                          • ing.Sarka Rubkova
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 31, 2005
                              Hi jamie,

                              what is the title of civil or structural engineers? If it is master orf
                              science then I agree with what you suggest.

                              Sarka