Re: [Czechlist] TIN

  • Miroslav Herold
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 30 12:24 PM
      Not exactly. You can also be registered as "dobrovolny platce DPH".
      BR
      Mirek
      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
      tel.: xx420 2 536549
      mobil: 0606 865870
      >We distinguish between income tax and VAT in the CR:
      >1) income tax - paid by all business entities (registered as DIC - tax
      >identification number)
      >2) VAT - paid extra next to the income tax only by business entities
      >exceeding certain annual income.

    • Miroslav Herold
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 30 12:24 PM
        Well, that is rather strange. Insofar, I have not met anybody with DIC who
        is not "platce DPH".
        BR
        Mirek
        Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

        tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
        tel.: xx420 2 536549
        mobil: 0606 865870

        >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income tax, not VAT!

      • Radovan Pletka
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
          Most of jurisdictions, which are incorporated (cities, counties, bigger
          villages), have zoning boards, which requre a special permit to do any
          bussiness activity in residential area - and as you surely know, your home
          is generally in residential area. Even in Michigan they have zoning laws,
          and if you don't obey them, they will get you soon or later.
          The only big city in US, which doesn't have zoning laws, is Houston, but
          there they are doing basically the same thourgh builders with very strict
          covenants in any local community.
          If you are running bussiness, which doesn't require clients coming to your
          house, as translation for example, permit is usually not a problem.
          If youa re running a bussiness without a permit, you can be hold liable for
          serious money, as in msot jurisdictions you are requred to pay certain
          small percentage of your gross income as a local tax.
          Get legal or your local tax man and zoning police will get you (-:
          You didn't do your homework, if you don't know this stuff. The probability
          of getting into trouble for this is small, but if you will piss somebody
          off and have bad luck at the same time, you can have your hands quite full
          and you will need a good lawyer and some $$$ to clear this mess.
          Another important thing, which most of people forget, is to have so called
          umbrella insurance, which is above your normal house/bussiness insurance
          and kicks in only in case of some really serious troubles (way above your
          usual insurance limits, which has to be depleted first). It is not
          expensive (order of hundreds for 7 digits of coverage) and gives you
          protection if you get into reallly serous troubles.

          At 07:06 AM 9/30/00 EDT, you wrote:

          >In a message dated 9/30/00 1:45:00 AM, pletka@... writes:
          >
          >>There is an easy solution - in most US jurisdictions you need a Home
          >>occupancy permit to run your home office bussienss and this is a nice
          >>looking document.
          >>My was issued by:
          >>COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
          >>COUNTY OF FAIRFAX
          >>OFFICE OF COMPREHENSIVE PLANNING
          >>ZONING ADMINISTRATION DIVISION
          >>
          >> with a seal, official looking and I am using it for everything from a
          >>wholesale licence, when i want to pay wholesale for my computer or a new
          >>jacuzzi UP TO A BUSSINESS LICENCE.
          >>
          >>Works like a charm (-:
          >>Another way is to register you bussiness name with a local court, again
          >>you
          >>will get a nice lookign official document (-:
          >>Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
          >
          >Wow! That's interesting. I've never heard of a permit to run a business
          >from your home. Are you sure it's required in MOST jurisdictions in the
          US?
          >I've absolutely never heard of anyone needing one. Maybe it's because most
          >of my life has been spent in Michigan.
          >
          >Jamie
          >

          >Archives: http://www.egroups.com/messages/Czechlist

          Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
          P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
          Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
          pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
          www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
          Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
          free to request a sample (-:
          Subscription $30 per year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing later in
          the year)
          (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
            In a message dated 10/1/00 8:48:07 AM, pletka@... writes:

            >Most of jurisdictions, which are incorporated (cities, counties, bigger
            >villages), have zoning boards, which requre a special permit to do any
            >bussiness activity in residential area - and as you surely know, your home
            >is generally in residential area. Even in Michigan they have zoning laws,
            >and if you don't obey them, they will get you soon or later.

            We have very strict zoning laws where I live, but they don't require a permit
            to run your business. The only way anyone knows or cares is if you have an
            EXCESSIVE number of clients pulling up and parking in front of your house.
            My neighbor gets visits from clients, and her rep parks out there, but it's
            evidently not enough to bother anybody, and nobody reports the traffic. Even
            if anyone did, the zoning enforcement authorities (the police) would treat it
            as excessive parking and come down on her for that, and not for her running a
            business at home.

            So this zoning ordinance dealing with running a business in your own home
            here is akin to other odd ones, such as the restriction against two unrelated
            people residing in the same dwelling. It's only on the books in case they
            have nothing else to use against someone causing other problems. If you're
            not luring teenagers into sex and drug parties, holding witch covens, running
            a religious brainwashing cult, or doing something else of serious community
            concern, absolutely no one cares, least of all the city or the police. There
            are even ordinances against certain sex positions, but the police say they
            are only enforced if they are done a public place, like a parking lot. The
            cops have no "undercover agents", they say.

            >The only big city in US, which doesn't have zoning laws, is Houston, but
            >there they are doing basically the same thourgh builders with very strict
            >covenants in any local community.

            There's a difference between the type of zoning law you're talking about, and
            these "covenants" that prevent residents from hanging wash out to dry, or
            from having a basketball hoop above the garage door instead of on a
            freestanding pole, or that won't let you park an old truck in your driveway.
            These covenants are not doing the same thing. There was even a horror movie
            made about a covenant community, but I defy you to find me any horror flick
            made about municipal zoning laws.

            >If you are running bussiness, which doesn't require clients coming to your
            >house, as translation for example, permit is usually not a problem.
            >If youa re running a bussiness without a permit, you can be hold liable
            >for serious money, as in msot jurisdictions you are requred to pay certain
            >small percentage of your gross income as a local tax.

            Not where I live.

            >Get legal or your local tax man and zoning police will get you (-:

            The zoning police are the regular police. My brother-in-law is one of the
            detectives. His wife runs a relatively massive business from their home.
            He's not a corrupt cop, so he would make her rent someplace to operate it, or
            else pay taxes, if the law required this. There's no mechanism here, as far
            as I know to tax a business that violates zoning ordinances, and you are more
            likely to get busted for keeping a small farm animal in the house than for
            running a translation or graphic design firm there.

            >You didn't do your homework, if you don't know this stuff. The probability
            >of getting into trouble for this is small, but if you will piss somebody
            >off and have bad luck at the same time, you can have your hands quite full
            >and you will need a good lawyer and some $$$ to clear this mess.

            The reason I don't know it is evidently because it isn't a problem where I
            live (which is the only place in the US I've ever lived).

            >Another important thing, which most of people forget, is to have so called
            >umbrella insurance, which is above your normal house/bussiness insurance
            >and kicks in only in case of some really serious troubles (way above your
            >usual insurance limits, which has to be depleted first). It is not
            >expensive (order of hundreds for 7 digits of coverage) and gives you
            >protection if you get into reallly serous troubles.

            What type of insurance do you use, for example, if your agency's translation
            winds up causing legal problems? When I worked for ad agencies, I used to
            catch mistranslations in automotive brochures and other ads that were just a
            product liability suit waiting to happen. The account executives always said
            the translation house had agreed to take responsibility for things like this,
            but often the translation company was clearly not big enough to handle a
            multi-million-dollar product liability suit against a Big Three automotive
            manufacturer, and when I talked directly to these companies, it appeared they
            had no clue what their real legal exposure was if they flubbed a word in
            these jobs, or even chose the wrong synonym. How should these agencies
            properly deal with that?

            Jamie
          • Radovan Pletka
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
              At 10:26 AM 10/1/00 EDT, you wrote:

              >In a message dated 10/1/00 8:48:07 AM, pletka@... writes:
              >
              >What type of insurance do you use, for example, if your agency's translation
              >winds up causing legal problems? When I worked for ad agencies, I used to
              >catch mistranslations in automotive brochures and other ads that were just a
              >product liability suit waiting to happen. The account executives always
              said
              >the translation house had agreed to take responsibility for things like
              this,
              >but often the translation company was clearly not big enough to handle a
              >multi-million-dollar product liability suit against a Big Three automotive
              >manufacturer, and when I talked directly to these companies, it appeared
              they
              >had no clue what their real legal exposure was if they flubbed a word in
              >these jobs, or even chose the wrong synonym. How should these agencies
              >properly deal with that?

              They should have somebody like you on payroll to catch this. This is the
              issue of strict quality, which is necessary in certain type of jobs (your
              brochures are a good example). Another one is instruction manual for
              nuclear fuel, hearth defibrilator, plane repair manual, $50 mil contract,
              etc, etc.
              There was no court case against US translator or TA based on poor
              translation up top now, as far as I know, but it is an trouble waiting to
              happen. As long as you don't have any large assets and no insurance, you
              are probably fine, but when you have $$$$ and/or insurance, you will have
              to deal with it soon or later.

              Good old US rule - Cover your ASS is always applicable here.
              I am dealing with it by doing the best job I cab, by not taking the stuff
              way over my head, and by having (usually paid - I am factoring it into my
              prices) access to top expert people, who can advice me about stuff I don't
              know and proof the stuff I am doing.
              Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
              P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
              Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
              pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
              www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
              Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
              free to request a sample (-:
              Subscription $30 per year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing later in
              the year)
              (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
            • Tomás Skøont
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                So, I am the first one.

                Tomas Skront
                > Well, that is rather strange. Insofar, I have not met anybody with DIC who
                > is not "platce DPH".
                > BR
                > Mirek
                > Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.
                >
                > tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
                > tel.: xx420 2 536549
                > mobil: 0606 865870
                > >
                > >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income tax, not VAT!

              • Palik
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                  > >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income
                  > tax, not VAT!

                  In CR, the DIC is an identification number for a payer of *any* tax - real
                  estate tax, income tax, VAT, ...whichever it could be. That means that you
                  need not be a VAT-payer and still you may be assigned a DIC. The revenue
                  office distinguishes the different taxes by the respective account numbers -
                  but the identification of the paying subjects is always the same: their
                  DICs.
                  (This information was confirmed by a tax adviser.)

                  Love
                  Vlasta
                  ---
                  Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                • Otto Pacholik
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                    > So, I am the first one.

                    And I am the second and surely not the last one. As soon as you want to be
                    self-employed it is mandatory to be registered with your tax office. Those
                    people in the Czech Republic having no DIC can just run into problems. DIC
                    is nothing more and nothing less than confirmation of the fact you have
                    registered yourself as a taxpayer with your respective tax office. Having
                    DIC enables you to register as a taxpayer of any taxes you "wish" (income
                    tax, road tax, VAT).

                    Otto