TIN

  • Tomáš Skřont
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
      Hello all,

      I am checking accuracy of an English contract right now. The author uses
      "TIN" for "ICO". Any idea what he means?
      I guess IN for Identification Number, but T? Trade?

      Advice appreciated!

      Ing. Tomas SKRONT
      cheap, quick and reliable freelance Czech<>English translator

      Kurzova 12/2224, 155 00 Prague 5, Czech Rep.
      Tel/Fax: +420 2 56 156 77
      Mobile phone: + 420 602 712 923
      www.dtk.cz/tomasskront

      It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice!

    • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
        > I am checking accuracy of an English contract right now. The author uses
        > "TIN" for "ICO". Any idea what he means?
        > I guess IN for Identification Number, but T? Trade?

        Hi Tom,

        The only thing I can find that's remotely relevant is "Taxpayer
        Identification Number".

        See: http://www.vanguard.com/catalog/lit/frm_w9.html
        "For individuals, your tax identification number is your Social Security
        number; for business organizations, it is your employer identification
        number"

        But to me that sounds more like DIC, so I don't like it for ICO -- it's
        confusing

        I notice Melvyn just used "Organization Reg. No. (with ICO in brackets) in
        the agreement he sent to Svepomoc. Company Reg. No. or Company
        Identification No. are other possibilities... what do you normally use?

        Does this help???
        Rachel
      • Tomáš Skřont
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
          Yes, it helps. Whatever TIN meant, I changed it for "Company registration
          number" which I like to use.

          Bye,
          Tomas
          > > I am checking accuracy of an English contract right now. The author uses
          > > "TIN" for "ICO". Any idea what he means?
          > > I guess IN for Identification Number, but T? Trade?
          >
          > Hi Tom,
          >
          > The only thing I can find that's remotely relevant is "Taxpayer
          > Identification Number".
          >
          > See: http://www.vanguard.com/catalog/lit/frm_w9.html
          > "For individuals, your tax identification number is your Social Security
          > number; for business organizations, it is your employer identification
          > number"
          >
          > But to me that sounds more like DIC, so I don't like it for ICO -- it's
          > confusing
          >
          > I notice Melvyn just used "Organization Reg. No. (with ICO in brackets) in
          > the agreement he sent to Svepomoc. Company Reg. No. or Company
          > Identification No. are other possibilities... what do you normally use?
          >
          > Does this help???
          > Rachel
          >

          > Archives: http://www.egroups.com/messages/Czechlist

        • Melvyn Clarke
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000

            Whatever TIN meant, I changed it for "Company registration
            > number" which I like to use.

            Ciao Tomas and Rachel,

            We had a discussion about 'ICO' last year so check out the archives
            for a few alternative ideas. 'Company reg. no.' seems to be popular
            but bear in mind that not-for-profit organizations such as public
            benefit associations, libraries, government institutions and even
            army divisions have ICOs too, so in some cases 'organization reg no.'
            might be considered - or simple 'reg. no.' has been suggested. I'd
            agree that use of 'taxpayer' will cause confusion with DIC and if the
            T refers to something like 'trading' then you'll get confusion with
            trading-licence holders.

            Enjoy the weekend,

            Melvyn
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
              In a message dated 9/29/00 8:19:48 AM, skront@... writes:

              >Yes, it helps. Whatever TIN meant, I changed it for "Company registration
              >number" which I like to use.

              If it is some kind of taxpayer identification number, and you're not
              referring to a Czech company, then "company registration number" is not a
              good solution. At least US businesses don't always have to register with the
              government other than to pay their taxes, so "taxpayer identification number"
              is the most appropriate.

              Jamie
            • Tomás Skøont
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
                Thanks for your effort, Jamie!

                However, we (i.e. translators operating in the Czech Republic) usually
                translate contracts of Czech entities seated in the Czech Republic.

                But I will keep you remark in my mind, as I may translate contracts of some
                American companies in the future. :)

                Tomas Skront
                > >Yes, it helps. Whatever TIN meant, I changed it for "Company registration
                > >number" which I like to use.
                >
                > If it is some kind of taxpayer identification number, and you're not
                > referring to a Czech company, then "company registration number" is not a
                > good solution. At least US businesses don't always have to register with
                the
                > government other than to pay their taxes, so "taxpayer identification
                number"
                > is the most appropriate.
                >
                > Jamie
                >

                > Archives: http://www.egroups.com/messages/Czechlist

              • Simon Vaughan
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
                  > If it is some kind of taxpayer identification number, and you're not
                  > referring to a Czech company, then "company registration number" is not a
                  > good solution. At least US businesses don't always have to register with
                  the
                  > government other than to pay their taxes, so "taxpayer identification
                  number"
                  > is the most appropriate.

                  Hi Jamie,

                  But what if it _is_ a Czech company? (I assumed it was -- perhaps wrongly.)
                  To me, taxpayer identification number sounds like the equivalent of DIC, not
                  ICO. You can't call them both the same thing, so how do you make the
                  distinction? I don't know about the US, but in Britain I think DIC would be
                  "VAT Reg. No.", and I don't think there's an equivalent of ICO -- as you
                  say, the only reason to register the company is for tax purposes. That
                  being the case, I'd say that Tomas's solution sounds as good as any...
                  What do you reckon?

                  Rachel
                • Tomás Skøont
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
                    Rachel wrote:

                    I don't know about the US, but in Britain I think DIC would be
                    "VAT Reg. No.",

                    I reply:

                    It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income tax, not VAT!

                    However, your question to Jamie was good. If we use "taxpayer identification
                    number for ICO, there is no other sollution for DIC.

                    Have a nice weekend

                    Ing. Tomas SKRONT
                    cheap, quick and reliable freelance Czech<>English translator

                    Kurzova 12/2224, 155 00 Prague 5, Czech Rep.
                    Tel/Fax: +420 2 56 156 77
                    Mobile phone: + 420 602 712 923
                    www.dtk.cz/tomasskront

                    It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice!

                  • Kostas Zgafas
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
                      I think we have hit quite important Czech "realia" here that should be clear
                      to all of us:
                      We distinguish between income tax and VAT in the CR:
                      1) income tax - paid by all business entities (registered as DIC - tax
                      identification number)
                      2) VAT - paid extra next to the income tax only by business entities
                      exceeding certain annual income.

                      Kostas
                    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
                        In a message dated 9/29/00 3:28:54 PM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

                        >I don't know about the US, but in Britain I think DIC would be
                        >"VAT Reg. No.", and I don't think there's an equivalent of ICO -- as you
                        >say, the only reason to register the company is for tax purposes. That
                        >being the case, I'd say that Tomas's solution sounds as good as any...
                        >What do you reckon?

                        There isn't any VAT, but there is corporate income tax for the federal
                        government, for most states and for some cities. Retail businesses in states
                        where there is a sales tax do have to register for that, but if you don't
                        have to report sales tax, then as far as I know you only have to report for
                        income taxes. Frankly, I'm not sure what number is used for corporate tax
                        reporting in the States, so maybe someone can help with that. Since
                        businesses are incorporated at the state level, I doubt those numbers would
                        apply at the federal level, so this is still a mystery to me. Someone on the
                        list must know.

                        The difficult problem, by the way, comes for individuals when client
                        companies in Europe ask for a copy of their business license. There is no
                        zivnostensky list here. My sister finds that sending a copy of her Michigan
                        sales tax registration helps her, but if you're not incorporated and not in
                        in retailing, there's nothing to send them.

                        Jamie
                      • Petr Adámek
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
                          Dear Tomas,
                          The "Abbreviations Dictionary" by Ralph De Sola, Dean Stahl, and Karen
                          Kerchelich, CRC Press, Boca Raton-Ann Arbor-London-Tokyo (9th Ed.) says that
                          TIN is "Taxpayer Identification Number, tinnitic-induced noise, Transaction
                          Identification Number". So choose. I like most the tinnitic-induced noise,
                          not knowing what it is :-).
                          Ciao,
                          Petr Adamek
                        • Radovan Pletka
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 29, 2000
                            At 09:05 PM 9/29/00 EDT, you wrote:
                            >The difficult problem, by the way, comes for individuals when client
                            >companies in Europe ask for a copy of their business license. There is no
                            >zivnostensky list here. My sister finds that sending a copy of her Michigan
                            >sales tax registration helps her, but if you're not incorporated and not in
                            >in retailing, there's nothing to send them.
                            >
                            >Jamie

                            There is an easy solution - in most US jurisdictions you need a Home
                            occupancy permit to run your home office bussienss and this is a nice
                            looking document.
                            My was issued by:
                            COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
                            COUNTY OF FAIRFAX
                            OFFICE OF COMPREHENSIVE PLANNING
                            ZONING ADMINISTRATION DIVISION

                            with a seal, official looking and I am using it for everything from a
                            wholesale licence, when i want to pay wholesale for my computer or a new
                            jacuzzi UP TO A BUSSINESS LICENCE.

                            Works like a charm (-:
                            Another way is to register you bussiness name with a local court, again you
                            will get a nice lookign official document (-:
                            Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
                            P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
                            Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
                            pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
                            www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
                            Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
                            free to request a sample (-:
                            Subscription $30 per year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing later in
                            the year)
                            (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
                          • Martin Mikolajek
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
                              As a matter of fact, in the Czech Republic, any business entity can register
                              to pay VAT, regardless of the income. Why would anyone want to pay more
                              taxes? Because you can deduct the difference between the VAT you pay for
                              goods you have bought from someone else (22 percent) and the 5 percent VAT
                              you give to the state out of the price of your services. So if you earn 2000
                              USD and then buy 2000 USD personal computer, you pay 100 USD VAT to the
                              state, 440 USD VAT to the PC shop and at the end of the tax period, the
                              state gives you back 340 USD. If you earn much more than you spend, then you
                              end up paying more than receiving, but it is usefull when you are starting a
                              business and need to invest a lot, i.e. more than one quarter of your
                              income, into computers, fax machines, printers, dictionaries etc. I have a
                              friend who has been so excited about this opportunity that he buys a new
                              computer every six months, even though he does not really need it. He has
                              eight of them at home. :)

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
                                In a message dated 9/30/00 1:45:00 AM, pletka@... writes:

                                >There is an easy solution - in most US jurisdictions you need a Home
                                >occupancy permit to run your home office bussienss and this is a nice
                                >looking document.
                                >My was issued by:
                                >COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
                                >COUNTY OF FAIRFAX
                                >OFFICE OF COMPREHENSIVE PLANNING
                                >ZONING ADMINISTRATION DIVISION
                                >
                                > with a seal, official looking and I am using it for everything from a
                                >wholesale licence, when i want to pay wholesale for my computer or a new
                                >jacuzzi UP TO A BUSSINESS LICENCE.
                                >
                                >Works like a charm (-:
                                >Another way is to register you bussiness name with a local court, again
                                >you
                                >will get a nice lookign official document (-:
                                >Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services

                                Wow! That's interesting. I've never heard of a permit to run a business
                                from your home. Are you sure it's required in MOST jurisdictions in the US?
                                I've absolutely never heard of anyone needing one. Maybe it's because most
                                of my life has been spent in Michigan.

                                Jamie
                              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
                                  In a message dated 9/30/00 5:58:02 AM, mgmikolajek@... writes:

                                  >I have a
                                  >friend who has been so excited about this opportunity that he buys a new
                                  >computer every six months, even though he does not really need it. He has
                                  >eight of them at home. :)

                                  I didn't know there was anyone worse than me for IT deductions.

                                  Jamie
                                • Lindsay Lockyer
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000

                                    >Rachel wrote:
                                    >
                                    >I don't know about the US, but in Britain I think DIC would be
                                    >"VAT Reg. No.",
                                    >
                                    >I reply:
                                    >
                                    >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income tax, not VAT!
                                    >
                                    >However, your question to Jamie was good. If we use "taxpayer
                                    >identification
                                    >number for ICO, there is no other sollution for DIC.

                                    Hi folks

                                    At the risk of grasping the wrong end of a stick here, if it's of any help,
                                    I asked my husband, Bill, who happens to be an HMIT (Her Majestesty's
                                    Inspector of Taxes) if he knew what TIN is an abbreviation for. He said
                                    he'd never heard of it; and to the words "Taxpayer Identification Number" he
                                    again shook his head and said there's no such thing. So whatever it is in
                                    Britain, it ain't income tax.

                                    Lindsay

                                    http://profiles.msn.com
                                  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
                                      >>However, your question to Jamie was good. If we use "taxpayer
                                      >>identification
                                      >>number for ICO, there is no other sollution for DIC.

                                      I don't remember saying people should use "taxpayer identification number" as
                                      a translation for ICO. That's clearly unsuitable. I thought I said that ICO
                                      was an inaccurate translation for "taxpayer identification number", and vice
                                      versa. Maybe I mispoke myself, but I think that's what I said.

                                      >Hi folks
                                      >
                                      >At the risk of grasping the wrong end of a stick here, if it's of any help,
                                      >
                                      >I asked my husband, Bill, who happens to be an HMIT (Her Majestesty's
                                      >Inspector of Taxes) if he knew what TIN is an abbreviation for. He said
                                      >he'd never heard of it; and to the words "Taxpayer Identification Number"
                                      >he again shook his head and said there's no such thing. So whatever it is
                                      >in Britain, it ain't income tax.

                                      Okay, but the UK isn't the only English-speaking country that has taxes.
                                      "Taxpayer identification number" is a standard US term, so there is such a
                                      thing in English, but evidently not in the UK. I suppose that here "taxpayer
                                      identification number" would be used for individual taxpayers. Corporations
                                      would likely have a "tax identification number". I think I've also seen
                                      "corporate tax ID".

                                      Jamie
                                    • Miroslav Herold
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
                                        Not exactly. You can also be registered as "dobrovolny platce DPH".
                                        BR
                                        Mirek
                                        Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

                                        tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
                                        tel.: xx420 2 536549
                                        mobil: 0606 865870

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 30, 2000
                                          Well, that is rather strange. Insofar, I have not met anybody with DIC who
                                          is not "platce DPH".

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
                                            Most of jurisdictions, which are incorporated (cities, counties, bigger
                                            villages), have zoning boards, which requre a special permit to do any
                                            bussiness activity in residential area - and as you surely know, your home
                                            is generally in residential area. Even in Michigan they have zoning laws,
                                            and if you don't obey them, they will get you soon or later.
                                            The only big city in US, which doesn't have zoning laws, is Houston, but
                                            there they are doing basically the same thourgh builders with very strict
                                            covenants in any local community.
                                            If you are running bussiness, which doesn't require clients coming to your
                                            house, as translation for example, permit is usually not a problem.
                                            If youa re running a bussiness without a permit, you can be hold liable for
                                            serious money, as in msot jurisdictions you are requred to pay certain
                                            small percentage of your gross income as a local tax.
                                            Get legal or your local tax man and zoning police will get you (-:
                                            You didn't do your homework, if you don't know this stuff. The probability
                                            of getting into trouble for this is small, but if you will piss somebody
                                            off and have bad luck at the same time, you can have your hands quite full
                                            and you will need a good lawyer and some $$$ to clear this mess.
                                            Another important thing, which most of people forget, is to have so called
                                            umbrella insurance, which is above your normal house/bussiness insurance
                                            and kicks in only in case of some really serious troubles (way above your
                                            usual insurance limits, which has to be depleted first). It is not
                                            expensive (order of hundreds for 7 digits of coverage) and gives you
                                            protection if you get into reallly serous troubles.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
                                              In a message dated 10/1/00 8:48:07 AM, pletka@... writes:

                                              >Most of jurisdictions, which are incorporated (cities, counties, bigger
                                              >villages), have zoning boards, which requre a special permit to do any
                                              >bussiness activity in residential area - and as you surely know, your home
                                              >is generally in residential area. Even in Michigan they have zoning laws,
                                              >and if you don't obey them, they will get you soon or later.

                                              We have very strict zoning laws where I live, but they don't require a permit
                                              to run your business. The only way anyone knows or cares is if you have an
                                              EXCESSIVE number of clients pulling up and parking in front of your house.
                                              My neighbor gets visits from clients, and her rep parks out there, but it's
                                              evidently not enough to bother anybody, and nobody reports the traffic. Even
                                              if anyone did, the zoning enforcement authorities (the police) would treat it
                                              as excessive parking and come down on her for that, and not for her running a
                                              business at home.

                                              So this zoning ordinance dealing with running a business in your own home
                                              here is akin to other odd ones, such as the restriction against two unrelated
                                              people residing in the same dwelling. It's only on the books in case they
                                              have nothing else to use against someone causing other problems. If you're
                                              not luring teenagers into sex and drug parties, holding witch covens, running
                                              a religious brainwashing cult, or doing something else of serious community
                                              concern, absolutely no one cares, least of all the city or the police. There
                                              are even ordinances against certain sex positions, but the police say they
                                              are only enforced if they are done a public place, like a parking lot. The
                                              cops have no "undercover agents", they say.

                                              >The only big city in US, which doesn't have zoning laws, is Houston, but
                                              >there they are doing basically the same thourgh builders with very strict
                                              >covenants in any local community.

                                              There's a difference between the type of zoning law you're talking about, and
                                              these "covenants" that prevent residents from hanging wash out to dry, or
                                              from having a basketball hoop above the garage door instead of on a
                                              freestanding pole, or that won't let you park an old truck in your driveway.
                                              These covenants are not doing the same thing. There was even a horror movie
                                              made about a covenant community, but I defy you to find me any horror flick
                                              made about municipal zoning laws.

                                              >If you are running bussiness, which doesn't require clients coming to your
                                              >house, as translation for example, permit is usually not a problem.
                                              >If youa re running a bussiness without a permit, you can be hold liable
                                              >for serious money, as in msot jurisdictions you are requred to pay certain
                                              >small percentage of your gross income as a local tax.

                                              Not where I live.

                                              >Get legal or your local tax man and zoning police will get you (-:

                                              The zoning police are the regular police. My brother-in-law is one of the
                                              detectives. His wife runs a relatively massive business from their home.
                                              He's not a corrupt cop, so he would make her rent someplace to operate it, or
                                              else pay taxes, if the law required this. There's no mechanism here, as far
                                              as I know to tax a business that violates zoning ordinances, and you are more
                                              likely to get busted for keeping a small farm animal in the house than for
                                              running a translation or graphic design firm there.

                                              >You didn't do your homework, if you don't know this stuff. The probability
                                              >of getting into trouble for this is small, but if you will piss somebody
                                              >off and have bad luck at the same time, you can have your hands quite full
                                              >and you will need a good lawyer and some $$$ to clear this mess.

                                              The reason I don't know it is evidently because it isn't a problem where I
                                              live (which is the only place in the US I've ever lived).

                                              >Another important thing, which most of people forget, is to have so called
                                              >umbrella insurance, which is above your normal house/bussiness insurance
                                              >and kicks in only in case of some really serious troubles (way above your
                                              >usual insurance limits, which has to be depleted first). It is not
                                              >expensive (order of hundreds for 7 digits of coverage) and gives you
                                              >protection if you get into reallly serous troubles.

                                              What type of insurance do you use, for example, if your agency's translation
                                              winds up causing legal problems? When I worked for ad agencies, I used to
                                              catch mistranslations in automotive brochures and other ads that were just a
                                              product liability suit waiting to happen. The account executives always said
                                              the translation house had agreed to take responsibility for things like this,
                                              but often the translation company was clearly not big enough to handle a
                                              multi-million-dollar product liability suit against a Big Three automotive
                                              manufacturer, and when I talked directly to these companies, it appeared they
                                              had no clue what their real legal exposure was if they flubbed a word in
                                              these jobs, or even chose the wrong synonym. How should these agencies
                                              properly deal with that?

                                              Jamie
                                            • Radovan Pletka
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
                                                At 10:26 AM 10/1/00 EDT, you wrote:

                                                >In a message dated 10/1/00 8:48:07 AM, pletka@... writes:
                                                >
                                                >What type of insurance do you use, for example, if your agency's translation
                                                >winds up causing legal problems? When I worked for ad agencies, I used to
                                                >catch mistranslations in automotive brochures and other ads that were just a
                                                >product liability suit waiting to happen. The account executives always
                                                said
                                                >the translation house had agreed to take responsibility for things like
                                                this,
                                                >but often the translation company was clearly not big enough to handle a
                                                >multi-million-dollar product liability suit against a Big Three automotive
                                                >manufacturer, and when I talked directly to these companies, it appeared
                                                they
                                                >had no clue what their real legal exposure was if they flubbed a word in
                                                >these jobs, or even chose the wrong synonym. How should these agencies
                                                >properly deal with that?

                                                They should have somebody like you on payroll to catch this. This is the
                                                issue of strict quality, which is necessary in certain type of jobs (your
                                                brochures are a good example). Another one is instruction manual for
                                                nuclear fuel, hearth defibrilator, plane repair manual, $50 mil contract,
                                                etc, etc.
                                                There was no court case against US translator or TA based on poor
                                                translation up top now, as far as I know, but it is an trouble waiting to
                                                happen. As long as you don't have any large assets and no insurance, you
                                                are probably fine, but when you have $$$$ and/or insurance, you will have
                                                to deal with it soon or later.

                                                Good old US rule - Cover your ASS is always applicable here.
                                                I am dealing with it by doing the best job I cab, by not taking the stuff
                                                way over my head, and by having (usually paid - I am factoring it into my
                                                prices) access to top expert people, who can advice me about stuff I don't
                                                know and proof the stuff I am doing.
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                                                  So, I am the first one.

                                                  Tomas Skront
                                                  > Well, that is rather strange. Insofar, I have not met anybody with DIC who
                                                  > is not "platce DPH".
                                                  > BR
                                                  > Mirek
                                                  > Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.
                                                  >
                                                  > tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
                                                  > tel.: xx420 2 536549
                                                  > mobil: 0606 865870
                                                  > >
                                                  > >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income tax, not VAT!

                                                • Palik
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                                                    > >It is wrong! By obtaining DIC you register for the income
                                                    > tax, not VAT!

                                                    In CR, the DIC is an identification number for a payer of *any* tax - real
                                                    estate tax, income tax, VAT, ...whichever it could be. That means that you
                                                    need not be a VAT-payer and still you may be assigned a DIC. The revenue
                                                    office distinguishes the different taxes by the respective account numbers -
                                                    but the identification of the paying subjects is always the same: their
                                                    DICs.
                                                    (This information was confirmed by a tax adviser.)

                                                    Love
                                                    Vlasta
                                                    ---
                                                    Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                                                  • Otto Pacholik
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                                                      > So, I am the first one.

                                                      And I am the second and surely not the last one. As soon as you want to be
                                                      self-employed it is mandatory to be registered with your tax office. Those
                                                      people in the Czech Republic having no DIC can just run into problems. DIC
                                                      is nothing more and nothing less than confirmation of the fact you have
                                                      registered yourself as a taxpayer with your respective tax office. Having
                                                      DIC enables you to register as a taxpayer of any taxes you "wish" (income
                                                      tax, road tax, VAT).

                                                      Otto