Re: [Czechlist] Rates

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2000
      I am pasting an example of how an American translation agency explains their
      pricing policy on its website.

      Translation Pricing
      How much will it cost to translate my material?

      Good question. Now for the non answer.

      We price translations according to a number of factors.

      First, language. Spanish is least expensive, exotic unusual
      languages—Laotian, Khmer—are most expensive.

      Second, complexity. A business letter or employee manual is least expensive,
      a schematic blueprint for a manufacturing process or a dense legal contract
      are more expensive.

      Third, file format. Plain text or word processing files for the PC or Mac
      platform are least expensive, HTML, software strings and DTP files—Quark,
      Pagemaker, Framemaker—are more expensive.

      Fourth, non text elements. If you have graphics, tables, charts or other non
      text elements, these have to be processed. We need access to the original
      graphic files to be able to change any text embedded in the graphics. Any
      time spent working on graphic elements increases the cost.

      Fifth, turnaround time. If you need it yesterday it's more expensive.

      So how much is my translation? We can't give you a canned answer because we
      don't know the variables above. But, if you can let us look at your project
      we will give you a firm price proposal, in writing. The proposal will
      include the price, turnaround, what we need from you, and how we can return
      the material to you—not always as simple a matter as it might seem if you
      need Japanese, for example, and are working on an English operating system.

      Ideally, we would like to see the entire material in electronic format. If
      you do not have all the material we can extrapolate a quotation from a
      representative sample. If you do not have the material in electronic
      format—that is, if you do not have a file or files—we would be happy to look
      at a fax of the material. To send email please click here. To fax us please
      look here.

      We are sorry that we are unable to give prices here—we quite understand that
      customers want to know exactly how much a translation will cost and don't
      want to wait for an answer. But we do promise to return a quotation rapidly
      on anything you send us to evaluate.

      One final point—please do not send us the originals of anything, especially
      by US Mail. We do not lose documents but there are ways for documents to
      vanish between us and the customer, either coming or going, that we cannot
      control.