ASCII

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2000
      Jirka Pelka wrote:

      > I do not know what is ASCII. (Is it a big shame?:-)

      Well, it's a fairly elementary abbreviation in information technology. You
      should know, folks, by now I dislike abbreviations, but I've known this one
      since I was quite indifferent towards them, about 20 years ago: American
      Standard Code for Information Interchange. There are two important features:
      true original ASCII is a 7-bit coding system, that is there are 128
      characters defined, and ASCII is always the same, sort of international.
      E-mail was originally designed to transmit ASCII only. The main merit is
      perfect compatibility with nearly every computer system in the world. The
      problem is, however, no letters with diacritical marks or other special
      characters are coded there. Hence extended ASCII, bunch of code pages and
      the latest smart attempt to achieve both compatibility and broad, truly
      international, character coverage: the Unicode.

      Sorry to be boring as I'm sure you can find a lot on this on the Web. Then,
      what can't you, anyway?