Re: [Czechlist] Napron

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2000
      In a message dated 9/27/00 12:36:35 PM, barendregt@... writes:

      >BTW, 'napron' cannot be a Czech word by origin - I would try to track
      >its source and perhaps find your answer that way. It seems it may be
      >French; try to look into French - English dictionaries on the web.

      We were taught "napron" in grad school as a classic example of English
      morpheme reanalysis, as I said before, from "a napron" to "an apron", similar
      to the way the singular of the word "pea" was once "pease", and the S sound
      on the end was reanalyzed by ordinary speakers as a plural suffix. But
      danged if I can find "napron" as an entry in any present-day English
      dictionary.

      But for "apron", Webster's New World College Dictionary gives this etymology:

      < ME napron < OF naperon < nape, "a cloth" < L mappa, "napkin"

      Harrap's New College French and English Dictionary has the following terms
      for modern French: "napperon" (small linen) cloth, mat; "napperon de
      plateau", traycloth; "napperon individuel", place mat.