Re: [Czechlist] Napron

  • Barendregt
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2000
      Hi,

      In the fine dining establishments where I had the pleasure to be a
      waiter, we never used only a small tablecloth to decorate a table; it
      would always be a part of a CENTERPIECE (usually consisting of a
      tablecloth (or a little green or red napkin during Christmas
      festivities) and a flower arrangement/candle holders); sometimes we
      would double cloth (but that was pretty much putting two tablecloths of
      the same size diagonally over one another to hide table legs).

      BTW, 'napron' cannot be a Czech word by origin - I would try to track
      its source and perhaps find your answer that way. It seems it may be
      French; try to look into French - English dictionaries on the web.

      Tom

      A bonus info for everyone (from my food service days) - that little
      glass or china container used to hold sugar and sweetener packages is
      called "sugar boat" in the industry. Just in case you wondered.
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2000
        In a message dated 9/27/00 12:36:35 PM, barendregt@... writes:

        >BTW, 'napron' cannot be a Czech word by origin - I would try to track
        >its source and perhaps find your answer that way. It seems it may be
        >French; try to look into French - English dictionaries on the web.

        We were taught "napron" in grad school as a classic example of English
        morpheme reanalysis, as I said before, from "a napron" to "an apron", similar
        to the way the singular of the word "pea" was once "pease", and the S sound
        on the end was reanalyzed by ordinary speakers as a plural suffix. But
        danged if I can find "napron" as an entry in any present-day English
        dictionary.

        But for "apron", Webster's New World College Dictionary gives this etymology:

        < ME napron < OF naperon < nape, "a cloth" < L mappa, "napkin"

        Harrap's New College French and English Dictionary has the following terms
        for modern French: "napperon" (small linen) cloth, mat; "napperon de
        plateau", traycloth; "napperon individuel", place mat.