Trouble at Babel

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 1999
      Hi Kostas,

      Glad you could get through. Welcome to the list.

      > V�t says:
      > "Still, I believe the gray ("twilight") zone between the process of
      >thoughts and its transformation into multi-culture environment, as an
      >essence of translating process, deserves some attention."
      >
      > Yes, I agree that the essence of translating process should deserve some
      >attention. I visualize it as an "absolute gap", or a translator as the only
      >person standing over a narrow, deep and empty existential abbys, with each
      >leg on its opposite edge. This abbys may have not been described yet, and
      >therefore, it is entirely empty and unknown so far.

      I must admit I go cross-eyed pretty quickly when I contemplate the chasm of
      complexity between languages and worldviews as a whole. I prefer to keep
      referring to specific language examples - always with the awareness that
      translation can never hope to be more than an approximation and that you can
      never hope to fill up the abyss with words, but only to bridge it with
      flimsy bridges made of the ruins of Babel (crumbs, I'm off again:))

      >It is possible that English is the only language with an ability to fill
      >this abbys, because of its enrichment during the immigration to America,
      >when different nations coming from different language backgrounds had to
      >cooperate to survive.

      Hmmm, don't other world languages have this status too? And wouldn't this
      mean that Americans are as a whole more culturally tolerant than others? Is
      this really the case?

      If you are interested in getting together over coffee some time in the near
      future, do get in touch. Same goes for anybody else within striking distance
      of Prague.

      Melvyn

      Melvyn Clarke
      Czech-English Translator