Re: [Czechlist] [TERM] Sicka matic

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
      As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my mind
      one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
      operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories were
      invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
      them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
      to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
      cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher - but
      who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
      Does this come into line with your missing context?
      Honza

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
        Take jsem studovala elektrotechniku, obor technicka kybernetika a u saloveho
        pocitace EC 1033, kde jsem pracovala jako technik, jsme meli operacni pamet
        0,5 Mbyte (!) - desku asi 50 x 40 cm s rucne prosivanymi feritovymi jaderky,
        kde informacni hodnota 0 nebo 1 vznikala koexistenci proudu v obou smerech.
        Odpovida to dobou 70- tym letum.
        Zdravi
        Eva Horejsi

        > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
        mind
        > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
        > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
        were
        > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
        > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
        > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
        > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
        but
        > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
        > Does this come into line with your missing context?
        > Honza

      • Horejsí Eva Ing.

          > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
          mind
          > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
          > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
          were
          > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
          > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
          > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
          > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
          but
          > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
          > Does this come into line with your missing context?
          > Honza

        • Horejsí Eva Ing.

            > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
            mind
            > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
            > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
            were
            > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
            > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
            > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
            > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
            but
            > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
            > Does this come into line with your missing context?
            > Honza

          • Horejsí Eva Ing.

              > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
              mind
              > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
              > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
              were
              > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
              > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
              > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
              > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
              but
              > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
              > Does this come into line with your missing context?
              > Honza

            • Jan Culka
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"? Chtel jsem to pouzit,
                ale pak jsem se tomu radsi vyhnul.
                Honza

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                  > Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"?

                  /ej/ 'mainframe (computer)'...

                  Jirka Bolech
                • Jan Culka
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                    Diky, to jsem samozrejme vedel, jen si nevzpomnel ....

                    > > Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"?
                    >
                    > /ej/ 'mainframe (computer)'...
                    >
                    > Jirka Bolech
                  • Horejsí Eva Ing.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                      Docela me to zaskocilo, ale po konzultaci s kolegou nam stranky IBM
                      osvezily pamet - mainframe.
                      Eva H.

                      > Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"? Chtel jsem to pouzit,
                      > ale pak jsem se tomu radsi vyhnul.
                      > Honza

                    • Jan Culka
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                        Diky, Evo a Jirko a neznamy kolego.
                        H.

                        > Docela me to zaskocilo, ale po konzultaci s kolegou nam stranky IBM
                        > osvezily pamet - mainframe.
                        > Eva H.

                      • tomas_barendregt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                          Thank you all for help with this! Most interesting.

                          Tom

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Horejsí Eva Ing." <horejsi@t...>