Re: [Czechlist] [TERM] Sicka matic

  • Tertech
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
      Matice could be some kind of a template in some context (for example
      automotive seat manufacturing), so if this is righ for the context, or lack
      thereof, something along the line of "template stitcher", could work out
      OK...

      Matej

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
        As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my mind
        one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
        operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories were
        invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
        them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
        to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
        cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher - but
        who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
        Does this come into line with your missing context?
        Honza

        > Matice could be some kind of a template in some context (for example
        > automotive seat manufacturing), so if this is righ for the context, or
        lack
        > thereof, something along the line of "template stitcher", could work out
        > OK...
        >
        > Matej

      • Horejsí Eva Ing.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
          Take jsem studovala elektrotechniku, obor technicka kybernetika a u saloveho
          pocitace EC 1033, kde jsem pracovala jako technik, jsme meli operacni pamet
          0,5 Mbyte (!) - desku asi 50 x 40 cm s rucne prosivanymi feritovymi jaderky,
          kde informacni hodnota 0 nebo 1 vznikala koexistenci proudu v obou smerech.
          Odpovida to dobou 70- tym letum.
          Zdravi
          Eva Horejsi

          > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
          mind
          > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
          > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
          were
          > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
          > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
          > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
          > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
          but
          > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
          > Does this come into line with your missing context?
          > Honza

        • Horejsí Eva Ing.

            > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
            mind
            > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
            > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
            were
            > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
            > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
            > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
            > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
            but
            > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
            > Does this come into line with your missing context?
            > Honza

          • Horejsí Eva Ing.

              > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
              mind
              > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
              > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
              were
              > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
              > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
              > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
              > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
              but
              > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
              > Does this come into line with your missing context?
              > Honza

            • Horejsí Eva Ing.

                > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
                mind
                > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
                > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
                were
                > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
                > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
                > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
                > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
                but
                > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
                > Does this come into line with your missing context?
                > Honza

              • Jan Culka
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                  Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"? Chtel jsem to pouzit,
                  ale pak jsem se tomu radsi vyhnul.
                  Honza

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                    > Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"?

                    /ej/ 'mainframe (computer)'...

                    Jirka Bolech
                  • Jan Culka
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                      Diky, to jsem samozrejme vedel, jen si nevzpomnel ....

                      > > Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"?
                      >
                      > /ej/ 'mainframe (computer)'...
                      >
                      > Jirka Bolech
                    • Horejsí Eva Ing.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                        Docela me to zaskocilo, ale po konzultaci s kolegou nam stranky IBM
                        osvezily pamet - mainframe.
                        Eva H.

                        > Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"? Chtel jsem to pouzit,
                        > ale pak jsem se tomu radsi vyhnul.
                        > Honza

                      • Jan Culka
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                          Diky, Evo a Jirko a neznamy kolego.
                          H.

                          > Docela me to zaskocilo, ale po konzultaci s kolegou nam stranky IBM
                          > osvezily pamet - mainframe.
                          > Eva H.

                        • tomas_barendregt
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                            Thank you all for help with this! Most interesting.

                            Tom

                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Horejsí Eva Ing." <horejsi@t...>