[TERM] Sicka matic

  • tomas_barendregt
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hello,

      Does anyone know what kind of a job is "s'ic'ka matic"? This is from
      a document from the 70's. Sorry, no context - just an entry in a
      form.

      Thank you,

      Tom
    • Tertech
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
        Matice could be some kind of a template in some context (for example
        automotive seat manufacturing), so if this is righ for the context, or lack
        thereof, something along the line of "template stitcher", could work out
        OK...

        Matej

        > Does anyone know what kind of a job is "s'ic'ka matic"? This is from
        > a document from the 70's. Sorry, no context - just an entry in a
        > form.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Tom
        >

        > Czechlist resources:

      • Jan Culka
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
          As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my mind
          one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
          operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories were
          invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
          them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
          to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
          cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher - but
          who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
          Does this come into line with your missing context?
          Honza

          > Matice could be some kind of a template in some context (for example
          > automotive seat manufacturing), so if this is righ for the context, or
          lack
          > thereof, something along the line of "template stitcher", could work out
          > OK...
          >
          > Matej

        • Horejsí Eva Ing.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
            Take jsem studovala elektrotechniku, obor technicka kybernetika a u saloveho
            pocitace EC 1033, kde jsem pracovala jako technik, jsme meli operacni pamet
            0,5 Mbyte (!) - desku asi 50 x 40 cm s rucne prosivanymi feritovymi jaderky,
            kde informacni hodnota 0 nebo 1 vznikala koexistenci proudu v obou smerech.
            Odpovida to dobou 70- tym letum.
            Zdravi
            Eva Horejsi

            > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
            mind
            > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
            > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
            were
            > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
            > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
            > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
            > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
            but
            > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
            > Does this come into line with your missing context?
            > Honza

          • Horejsí Eva Ing.

              > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
              mind
              > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
              > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
              were
              > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
              > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
              > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
              > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
              but
              > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
              > Does this come into line with your missing context?
              > Honza

            • Horejsí Eva Ing.

                > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
                mind
                > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
                > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
                were
                > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
                > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
                > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
                > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
                but
                > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
                > Does this come into line with your missing context?
                > Honza

              • Horejsí Eva Ing.

                  > As an electronic engineer, I am biased a bit, and therefore I saw in my
                  mind
                  > one thing immediately, i.e. ferrite memory matrix. These had been used as
                  > operation memories in big computers before IC (semiconductor) memories
                  were
                  > invented. They consisted of tens and hundreds tiny ferrite rings, each of
                  > them being "sewn through" with several thin wires. And this needlework had
                  > to be done either manually (by a human s´ic´ka) or possibly by a machine I
                  > cannot imagine (in this case matrix sewing machine, or matrix stitcher -
                  but
                  > who knows how it was named in computer English of those days ....).
                  > Does this come into line with your missing context?
                  > Honza

                • Jan Culka
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                    Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"? Chtel jsem to pouzit,
                    ale pak jsem se tomu radsi vyhnul.
                    Honza

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                      > Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"?

                      /ej/ 'mainframe (computer)'...

                      Jirka Bolech
                    • Jan Culka
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                        Diky, to jsem samozrejme vedel, jen si nevzpomnel ....

                        > > Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"?
                        >
                        > /ej/ 'mainframe (computer)'...
                        >
                        > Jirka Bolech
                      • Horejsí Eva Ing.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                          Docela me to zaskocilo, ale po konzultaci s kolegou nam stranky IBM
                          osvezily pamet - mainframe.
                          Eva H.

                          > Evo, jak se vlastne rekne anglicky "salovy pocitac"? Chtel jsem to pouzit,
                          > ale pak jsem se tomu radsi vyhnul.
                          > Honza

                        • Jan Culka
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                            Diky, Evo a Jirko a neznamy kolego.
                            H.

                            > Docela me to zaskocilo, ale po konzultaci s kolegou nam stranky IBM
                            > osvezily pamet - mainframe.
                            > Eva H.

                          • tomas_barendregt
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
                              Thank you all for help with this! Most interesting.

                              Tom

                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Horejsí Eva Ing." <horejsi@t...>