Re: [Czechlist] Na pocatku bylo slovo??? BIBLE stuff

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      On Monday, January 3, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

      > a friend asked me for the ENG version of this sentence - presumably
      > it's
      > the first sentence of the bible (does sound familiar, but I wouldn't
      > know,
      > having attended Marxism classes instead of church), but I can't find
      > it at
      > the beginning of any on-line bible and don't want to read the whole
      > thing.
      >
      > Can anyone point me out to the chapter/book where it is and/or give me
      > the
      > English version (the latter is preferred, I've spend more time than I
      > need
      > on religious sites today :)

      It's part of the first sentence of the Gospel of John. I looked to see
      how the sentence is rendered in various translations of the Bible, and
      it's the same in the King James Version (the most beautiful and the
      most popular among Protestants, but not the most accurate), the Douay
      Rheims (the Catholic alternative to the King James, also old and
      beautiful and also not always accurate), the New American Bible, and
      the New Jerusalem Bible. I assume it's the same in the New English
      Bible too:

      "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word
      was God."

      I'm surprised the wording did not change from one translation to the
      next.

      Jamie
    • Terminus Technicus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
        > I highly recommend reading the whole thing some time, whether you
        > believe in it or not! :-)

        Hmm, I'd open a few hotel/motel bibles in my time, but never got very far...
        I prefer the commented/historical view versions and/or books about what
        happened where...

        Thanks for help

        Matej