Na pocatku bylo slovo??? BIBLE stuff

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hi list,

      a friend asked me for the ENG version of this sentence - presumably it's
      the first sentence of the bible (does sound familiar, but I wouldn't know,
      having attended Marxism classes instead of church), but I can't find it at
      the beginning of any on-line bible and don't want to read the whole thing.

      Can anyone point me out to the chapter/book where it is and/or give me the
      English version (the latter is preferred, I've spend more time than I need
      on religious sites today :)

      Thanks

      Yours in God
      Matej
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        On Jan 3, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

        > a friend asked me for the ENG version of this sentence - presumably
        > it's
        > the first sentence of the bible (does sound familiar, but I wouldn't
        > know,
        > having attended Marxism classes instead of church), but I can't find
        > it at
        > the beginning of any on-line bible and don't want to read the whole
        > thing.

        I highly recommend reading the whole thing some time, whether you
        believe in it or not! :-)

        The sentence is actually the beginning of the Gospel of John: "In the
        beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was
        God." See <http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/john-kjv.html>.

        Michael

        --
        <http://globalocal.blogspot.com/>

        Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons!
        - Vizzini, The Princess Bride
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
          On Monday, January 3, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

          > a friend asked me for the ENG version of this sentence - presumably
          > it's
          > the first sentence of the bible (does sound familiar, but I wouldn't
          > know,
          > having attended Marxism classes instead of church), but I can't find
          > it at
          > the beginning of any on-line bible and don't want to read the whole
          > thing.
          >
          > Can anyone point me out to the chapter/book where it is and/or give me
          > the
          > English version (the latter is preferred, I've spend more time than I
          > need
          > on religious sites today :)

          It's part of the first sentence of the Gospel of John. I looked to see
          how the sentence is rendered in various translations of the Bible, and
          it's the same in the King James Version (the most beautiful and the
          most popular among Protestants, but not the most accurate), the Douay
          Rheims (the Catholic alternative to the King James, also old and
          beautiful and also not always accurate), the New American Bible, and
          the New Jerusalem Bible. I assume it's the same in the New English
          Bible too:

          "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word
          was God."

          I'm surprised the wording did not change from one translation to the
          next.

          Jamie
        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
            > I highly recommend reading the whole thing some time, whether you
            > believe in it or not! :-)

            Hmm, I'd open a few hotel/motel bibles in my time, but never got very far...
            I prefer the commented/historical view versions and/or books about what
            happened where...

            Thanks for help

            Matej