TERMS: zasilka, obalovy kus atd.

  • Hana Viansová
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
      Zdravim vsechny, snad jeste nekdo touhle dobou pracuje... Potykam se s nekolika terminy (casto navzajem nesouvisejicimi), budu vdecna za jakykoli tip:

      zasilka (pojisteni zasilky) - nevim jestli mail? nemusi to byt ale postou - nebo consignment? dispatch? shipment? asi nejvic se mi libi consignment, ale nejsem si jista

      cely obalovy kus zasilky - part of consignment in a single package/packing? nebo je na to neco chytrejsiho?

      pomocne latky, pomocne materialy (kontext bohuzel zadny, tyka se to preruseni provozu, predstavuju si treba nejakou chemickou vyrobu nebo tak)

      registracni znacka (auta se statni poznavaci znackou nebo registracni znackou) - vubec netusim, o co se jedna - mozna neco, co maji voziky, privesy a tak?

      pozarnetechnicka dokumentace

      Moc dekuju a preju pohodovy novy rok

      Hanka

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
        On Thursday, December 30, 2004, at 09:51 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

        > zasilka (pojisteni zasilky) - nevim jestli mail? nemusi to byt ale
        > postou - nebo consignment? dispatch? shipment? asi nejvic se mi libi
        > consignment, ale nejsem si jista

        This one is a problem. In the US, an individual zasilka could be
        called an article or an item, a parcel, an envelope, a tube, or
        whatever it specifically is. You'd probably best call the thing being
        insured a "postal item". However, the US Postal Service website simply
        refers to insurance and then specifically to the type of thing being
        insured; there's no single word for zasilka.

        I would call the individual zasilka a "postal item", and I'd call
        pojisteni zasilky "postal insurance".

        If a zasilka contains several pieces of mail (especially if they are
        similar or identical), we'd call that a "mailing".

        > cely obalovy kus zasilky - part of consignment in a single
        > package/packing?  nebo je na to neco chytrejsiho?

        You need to explain to me what this one means in Czech. I don't
        understand it from your English.

        > pomocne latky, pomocne materialy (kontext bohuzel zadny, tyka se to
        > preruseni provozu, predstavuju si treba nejakou chemickou vyrobu nebo
        > tak)

        In that case, it's probably hazardous materials. Since 9/11 US postal
        clerks ask you if your package contains "anything toxic, hazardous,
        explosive [bla bla bla]".

        > registracni znacka (auta se statni poznavaci znackou nebo registracni
        > znackou) - vubec netusim, o co se jedna - mozna neco, co maji voziky,
        > privesy a tak?

        If it is metal and hangs on the back (and front) of the car, we call
        that a license plate. (I don't know what the Brits call it.) That's
        probably what they're talking about. Here some cities make you
        register your car also, and they issue a sticker. In Chicago one of
        those is called a "city sticker".

        I'd go with "license plate or sticker" or "(automotive) registration
        plate or sticker"

        > pozarnetechnicka dokumentace

        I'm finding US and UK sources referring to this as "fire
        documentation". This one has the beauty of vagueness, because it
        appears to mean either a fire safety inspection report, or a report on
        how a fire progressed and was fought (techniques used, success or
        failure, general critique).

      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
          On Dec 30, 2004, at 8:51 AM, Hana Viansov=E1 wrote:

          > zasilka (pojisteni zasilky) - nevim jestli mail? nemusi to byt ale=20
          > postou - nebo consignment? dispatch? shipment? asi nejvic se mi libi=20=

          > consignment, ale nejsem si jista

          Absent context, 'shipment' would be my first choice--but you may be=20
          able to drop it altogether if it's clear in context what the insurance=20=

          is for (as in an invoice line item).

          > cely obalovy kus zasilky - part of consignment in a single=20
          > package/packing? nebo je na to neco chytrejsiho?

          Parcel? Or just 'box' (or 'crate' or 'bag' or whatever the actual=20
          packaging is).

          > pomocne latky, pomocne materialy (kontext bohuzel zadny, tyka se to=20
          > preruseni provozu, predstavuju si treba nejakou chemickou vyrobu nebo=20=

          > tak)

          Could be a lot of things--you'd really need more information to know=20
          what would appear in an English document. But 'auxiliary materials' (or=20=

          maybe 'consumables') should do the trick if it's impossible to find out=20=

          what we're actually talking about.

          > registracni znacka (auta se statni poznavaci znackou nebo registracni=20=

          > znackou) - vubec netusim, o co se jedna - mozna neco, co maji voziky,=20=

          > privesy a tak?

          Isn't this just the license plate?

          > pozarnetechnicka dokumentace

          I'd suggest 'fire safety documentation'.

          Michael

          --=20
          <http://globalocal.blogspot.com/>

          "The police are not here to create disorder, they're here to preserve=20
          disorder."
          =A0=A0=A0- Richard Daley, former Chicago mayor
        • Hana Viansová
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
            Thank you Michael,
            the problem with box/parcel/crate is that I´ll never know what exactly it
            will be, so I need a term which encompasses all of them, and more:-). Would
            packaging do?

            Thanks for consumables, this sounds very nice. I need to dinstinguish
            between pomocne latky/materialy - would it sound okay to say consumable
            substances/materials?

            Thanks again

            Hanka

            Plus, other difficult terms are emerging:

            kapitalove obchody (I found heaps of capital transfers etc but not much
            capital trade/trading or anything that seems like a direct equivalent, plus
            I´m really not an expert and can´t tell the difference)

            ocenovaci obdobi - assessment?valuation period? it´s about insurance again,
            you assess or maybe "valuate"? loss of profit, etc. Assess sound better to
            me.

            cislo vypadku, definice:
            Císlo výpadku uvedené v seznamu pojistených stroju predstavuje procentuální
            sazbu, o kterou je

            snízen zisk bez zohlednení opatrení ke zmírnení skody následkem výpadku
            pojisteného stroje. Jeli

            v dobe vzniku pojistné události císlo výpadku uvedené v seznamu pojistených
            stroju nizsí nez

            hodnota skutecná, vypoctená pozdeji pro dobu prerusení provozu, poskytne
            pojistitel pojistné

            plnení, které je k výsi skody ve stejném pomeru jako císlo výpadku uvedené v
            seznamu k hodnote

            skutecné. (sorry if diacritics don´t work, hope you get the idea)
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
              On Thursday, December 30, 2004, at 11:22 AM, Michael Grant wrote:

              > On Dec 30, 2004, at 8:51 AM, Hana Viansov=E1 wrote:
              >
              > > zasilka (pojisteni zasilky) - nevim jestli mail? nemusi to byt ale=20
              > > postou - nebo consignment? dispatch? shipment? asi nejvic se mi
              > libi=20=
              >
              > > consignment, ale nejsem si jista
              >
              > Absent context, 'shipment' would be my first choice--but you may be=20
              > able to drop it altogether if it's clear in context what the
              > insurance=20=

              Yes, I agree with "shipment". This will apply to things sent through
              the post office and through private carriers. It does not generally
              refer to letters, but we don't have a term as general as zasilka.

              > is for (as in an invoice line item).
              >

              > > cely obalovy kus zasilky - part of consignment in a single=20
              > > package/packing?  nebo je na to neco chytrejsiho?
              >
              > Parcel? Or just 'box' (or 'crate' or 'bag' or whatever the actual=20
              > packaging is).

              How about "package unit" or "shipping unit", in other words, whatever
              is in one box or envelope.

            • Michael Grant
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
                On Dec 30, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

                > Thank you Michael,
                > the problem with box/parcel/crate is that I´ll never know what exactly
                > it
                > will be, so I need a term which encompasses all of them, and more:-).
                > Would
                > packaging do?

                No, that would just be the "obal" itself. How about 'container' (which
                in this context could also include the contents)? Or 'shipping unit',
                which is about as vague as it gets?

                > Thanks for consumables, this sounds very nice. I need to dinstinguish
                > between pomocne latky/materialy - would it sound okay to say consumable
                > substances/materials?

                That doesn't sound natural to me. What is the distinction between
                'latky' and 'materialy' anyway? And does 'pomocne' apply to both, or
                just to 'latky'? If the latter, you could translate the phrase as 'raw
                materials and consumables' (reversing the order of the elements for the
                sake of euphony).

                > Thanks again
                >
                > Hanka
                >
                > Plus, other difficult terms are emerging:

                See my other message.

                Michael

                --
                <http://globalocal.blogspot.com/>

                Relax, celebrate victory!
                - Richard Perle
              • Hana Viansová
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
                  ----- That doesn't sound natural to me. What is the distinction between
                  'latky' and 'materialy' anyway? And does 'pomocne' apply to both, or
                  just to 'latky'? If the latter, you could translate the phrase as 'raw
                  materials and consumables' (reversing the order of the elements for the
                  sake of euphony).

                  >it´s pomocne latky and pomocne materialy, I have no idea what they are, and
                  although I´ve been urging the client to give me these terms as they promised
                  they seem in no hurry to do so. Which is actually another reason why I
                  agreed to do the traslation - they said that any technical terms I might
                  have trouble with can always be consulted with them since they KNOW. This
                  week I´ve sent them three e-mails, about ten terms in each, and haven´t got
                  a single reply which is sort of enervating since the deadline is Monday
                  morning. You´re right, I shouldn´t have taken this.

                  Hanka
                • Miluse Saskova-Pierce
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
                    Dear Czechlisters,

                    I am turning to you as a teacher from the Czech Lands of Nebraska and
                    Iowa.

                    We plan to offer a survival Czech course to several learning community
                    setting groups and we would like to find Czech fonts for PCs including
                    spell checks. I have purchased mine as the International packet for
                    Microsoft Office for about $85. Is there some free/cheaper/better
                    alternative on the Net?

                    Thank you for your help. Usually silent reader Mila

                    Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
                    Minor Languages Section Head
                    Department of Modern Languages
                    University of Nebraska at Lincoln
                    NE 68588-0315

                    e-mail: msaskova-pierce1@...

                    Tel: (402) 472 1336
                    Fax: (402) 472 0327

                  • czechlistx
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Miluse Saskova-Pierce <msaskova-pierce1@u...> wrote:

                      > We plan to offer a survival Czech course to several learning community
                      > setting groups and we would like to find Czech fonts for PCs including
                      > spell checks. I have purchased mine as the International packet for
                      > Microsoft Office for about $85. Is there some free/cheaper/better
                      > alternative on the Net?

                      Hello Mila,

                      You might try the Fonts and Keyboards Section at Bohemica.com

                      http://www.bohemica.com/?m=catalog&s=46

                    • Mike Trittipo
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
                        Miluse Saskova-Pierce napsala:
                        > We plan to offer a survival Czech course to several learning community
                        > setting groups and we would like to find Czech fonts for PCs including
                        > spell checks. I have purchased mine as the International packet for
                        > Microsoft Office for about $85. Is there some free/cheaper/better
                        > alternative on the Net?

                        So long as the PCs are running Windows 2000 or XP,
                        I'm not sure you need to buy anything at all just
                        for the fonts (as opposed to the spell check
                        ability). As best I recall without re-checking,
                        Microsoft makes four or five "WGL4" font sets
                        (Georgia, Verdana, Arial, Trebuchet, ...?)
                        available for free, that include all the Czech
                        diacritics, and are usable on W2k and XP. It may
                        take some time to find them in the Microsoft
                        "typography" pages (as I believe they were
                        labeled) and to download them from there, and
                        maybe some time to make the system do
                        keyboard-switching, but the fonts themselves are
                        free. They're labeled as being "for the web," but
                        in fact they work quite fine in print, too.

                        So it's really just the spell-checking you'll need
                        to pay for, not the fonts, unless I've
                        misunderstood. I don't know what free Czech
                        spell-checkers are available, if any.

                        Another alternative (also free, at least for the
                        fonts) is to use a "live" CD. The last couple of
                        versions of Knoppix include easy ways to use Czech
                        fonts and a Czech keyboard. Ditto for the Czech
                        mini-CD called Slax available at www.slax.cz --
                        version 4.1.4 cesky works perfectly. (The English
                        version is up to 4.2.0, but 4.1.4 cesky works
                        fine.) The downside to these two live CDs as a
                        solution is that they both will want two things:
                        (1) that the PC try booting from its CD drive
                        before the hard drive, and (2) that the PC have
                        256 MB of RAM. (They will run on less RAM, but
                        they'll feel slow doing so.)

                        Again, I've never used spell-checking with either
                        Knoppix or Slax, so I don't know whether they
                        include any spell-checking program. Sorry.

                        Hope this helps at least as to fonts.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
                          On Friday, December 31, 2004, at 12:06 AM, Mike Trittipo wrote:

                          > So long as the PCs are running Windows 2000 or XP,
                          > I'm not sure you need to buy anything at all just
                          > for the fonts (as opposed to the spell check
                          > ability).  As best I recall without re-checking,
                          > Microsoft makes four or five "WGL4" font sets
                          > (Georgia, Verdana, Arial, Trebuchet, ...?)
                          > available for free, that include all the Czech
                          > diacritics, and are usable on W2k and XP.  It may
                          > take some time to find them in the Microsoft
                          > "typography" pages (as I believe they were
                          > labeled) and to download them from there, and
                          > maybe some time to make the system do
                          > keyboard-switching, but the fonts themselves are
                          > free.  They're labeled as being "for the web," but
                          > in fact they work quite fine in print, too.

                          How much has this changed since Windows 95 and 98? On my old laptop,
                          all the Czech fonts and keyboards were right on the Windows
                          installation CD that came with the computer. All you had to do was
                          install the Multilanguage Support option and you could choose your
                          language. It didn't cost extra, but just came in the box. Is it
                          different now with XP?

                        • Mike Trittipo
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
                            Miluse Saskova-Pierce napsala:
                            > Microsoft Office . . .

                            Another option might be
                            http://www.openoffice.cz/node/view/206/36
                          • Mike Trittipo
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
                              James Kirchner napsal:
                              > On Friday, December 31, 2004, at 12:06 AM, Mike Trittipo wrote:
                              > all the Czech fonts and keyboards were right on the Windows
                              > installation CD . . . just came in the box. Is it
                              > different now with XP?

                              No, in that XP includes Czech fonts out of the
                              box. But I wasn't clear on what OSes she expects
                              to be using in Nebraska -- and I like the Georgia
                              typeface better than Times New Roman, anyway. For
                              all I know, Windows XP may include the so-called
                              "web-optimized" fonts as well as the long-time MS
                              standards. I just haven't looked at the last half
                              dozen PCs I've set up at the office to see. :-)
                            • Milan Condak
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 30, 2004
                                Pro podporu jazyku je dulezity operacni system, nikoli Office.
                                Na CD-ROMu je vse potrebne.
                                =======
                                Mam ve svem PC Microsoft XP Professional CZ (+ 2.Service Pack z roku 2004).

                                Start / Ovladaci panely / Mistni a jazykove nastaveni /

                                Toto okno ma tri zalozky:

                                Mistni nastaveni = Standardy a formaty + Umisteni
                                Jazyky = Jazyky a sluzby pro zpracovani textu + Podpora dalsich jazyku
                                Upresnit = Jazyk pro programy nepodporujici kod Unicode + Tabulky pro prevod zankovych stranek + Vychozi nastaveni uctu uzivatele
                                -----
                                Jazyk si vyberu ve Standardy a formaty. Vyberu si jej, protoze je jazyk nainstalovan a "rozbalen" ve Windows.
                                - - - -
                                Jazyky a sluzby pro zpracovani textu:
                                text - Klepnutim na tlacitko Podrobnosti muzete zobrazit nebo zmenit jazyky a metody zadavani textu.
                                ---
                                Po stisknuti tlacitka Podrobnosti vidim okno "Textove sluzby a vstupni jazyky", obsahuje dve zalozky
                                prvni zalozka je "Nastaveni" = Vychozi jazyk zadavani + Instalovane sluzby + Predvolby (panel jazyku + nastaveni klaves).
                                druha zalozka je "Upresnit" = Konfigurace kompatibility + Systemove konfigurace
                                ========
                                Uf.
                                ========
                                Na okne "Mistni a jazykove nastaveni. zalozce "Jazyky" v casti "Podpora dalsich jazyku" je tento text:
                                Vetsina jazyku je nainstalovana pri vychozim nastaveni.
                                (Ceska verze Windows obsahuje fonty pro latinku a cyrilici na harddisku)

                                Dalsi jazyky nainstalujete zaskrtnutim prislusneho policka.
                                1. Instalovat soubory jazyku se slozitym pismem nebo psanim zprava doleva (vcetne podpory Thajstiny)
                                2. Nainstalovat soubory pro jazyky vychodni Asie
                                (Ceska verze Windows pozaduje vlozeni CD-ROMu)
                                - - - -
                                Doufam, ze text je alespon castecne informativni. Z obrazku by to bylo pochopitelnejsi, ale snadne to bez vyzkouseni neni.
                                ----
                                Jeden link, na ktery jsem nahodou narazil: http://www.fdicts.com/czech/ ceske a slovenske slovniky zdarma.

                                Milan
                                http://condak.602portal.cz
                                PS: prodavam slovniky (za penize)

                                ---
                                Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                                Verze: 6.0.824 / Virová báze: 562 - datum vydání: 28.12.2004
                              • Milan Condak
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 3, 2005
                                  Nejdulezitejsi je na http://www.bohemica.com/?m=catalog&s=46 prvni veta:

                                  Note: No additional fonts are necessary for Windows 98 and later (ME, 2000, XP).

                                  Milan Condak

                                  ---