Truth and beauty (was Re: CHAT: Denglish a angcesky)

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2004
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@s...>
      wrote:
      > You're right about that type of ignorant behavior on the part of
      > monolingual clients, at least in the US.

      I find it sometimes helps to refer clients to the notes I put
      together about Czech-English translation problems at
      http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation . The 'changes' that I make
      can often be accounted for on those pages.

      When a client recently suggested the kind of 'closer' translation
      that you refer to, I wrote back that when a translator has to
      choose between truth and beauty, she will often go for that
      combination of the two which is least conspicuous in the given
      context. Seemed to do the trick - though I have a nagging feeling
      that this saying of mine could be improved on.

      Have a cool Yule.

      Melvyn