Re: * * *Christmas gathering* * *

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2004
      Ho ho,

      Well, I've already made a booking for 6.30 pm on Tuesday 14th December at the Chinese Restaurant on the first floor of the Rondo-Cubist Adria building on the corner of Jungmannova and Narodni. We've had several gatherings there in the past so many of you will already know it well. Sorry, I couldn't accommodate all Czechlisters' preferred dates this time -- it's very rare that one can.

      Jarda, we can certainly keep your Cheerful Bison suggestion in mind for the future. It might be a nice idea to book a lounge there sometime. The advantage of this Chinese restaurant is that it is so central and on the 'default' side of the river, as Kostas puts it, so people can pop in from their Christmas shopping. The round tables are kinda neat because nobody feels left out, you can always squeeze latecomers in and we have our own 'cubicle' to one side where one can mill around, socialize, sing lusty folk songs and generally be rumbustious.

      Hanka, my repertoire also includes all fifteen verses =:-O of the one about the innkeeper's daughter from North Cumberland who was courted by a squire's wicked son ("Lie there, lie there, ye false young man, Lie there instead of me, 'Tis six foolish maidens have you drownded here, Go keep them good company!" etc) but you'll have to come up with something pretty tuneful in exchange if you want to hear it! At a push, I can do a passable rendition of Schiller's Ode to Joy as well, but I'll need a little help from Helga for the duet in the second verse ("Wem der große Wurf gelungen, Eines Freundes Freund zu sein...").

      I've invited a few other colleagues offlist. Over the last few years I've found that private invitations to Czechlist gatherings often get a better response than public announcements, so do FEEL FREE to invite other colleagues and friends. There should be space.

      BR

      Melvyn