Re: [Czechlist] Austrian English Quizz: truck rolls???

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
      On Thursday, November 4, 2004, at 09:41 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

      > Working on an ENG-CZ presentation by an Austrian guy with funny
      > English...
      >
      > any idea what 'truck rolls' could mean? just one point in a list of
      > results
      > of a management improvement project:
      >

      > Typical Results in Utilities Sector
      >
      > Reduce operating expenses 15 - 25 percent
      > Increase Sales Efficiency 15 - 35 percent
      >
      > $$$$$$$$$$Reduce preventable truck rolls 25 - 40 percent$$$$$$$$$$

      If what I understand is what he is really trying to say, it's perfectly
      clear English for (pardon my Czech) "snizeni predejitelnych prevratu
      vozidel". (By prevrat I mean "rollover".)

      However, this could be a direct translation of the well-known German
      term "Verringerung vermeidbarer Lastkraftwagenbrötchen".

      Jamie
    • Terminus Technicus
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
        Thanks to all who helped with the rolling trucks...

        If what I understand is what he is really trying to say, it's perfectly
        clear English for (pardon my Czech) "snizeni predejitelnych prevratu
        vozidel". (By prevrat I mean "rollover".)

        Nice one, Jamie, but I don't think there's an organization with that many
        trucks rolling over out there, let alone an organization who'd want to
        reduce the number of "preventable" truck rolls and be happy about the ones
        that were not preventable :)

        I said that our guess was the author meant "jizdy" by rolls and there was no
        feedback, so assuming that was it..

        Matej
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
          On Monday, November 8, 2004, at 07:39 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

          > Nice one, Jamie, but I don't think there's an organization with that
          > many
          > trucks rolling over out there, let alone an organization who'd want to
          > reduce the number of "preventable" truck rolls and be happy about the
          > ones
          > that were not preventable :)

          Well, that seemed odd to me too.

          > I said that our guess was the author meant "jizdy" by rolls and there
          > was no
          > feedback, so assuming that was it..

          Yes, but you still didn't deal with the fact that it could have meant
          "Lastkraftwagenbrötchen".