Re: [Czechlist] Austrian English Quizz: truck rolls???

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4 5:48 PM
      On Thursday, November 4, 2004, at 09:41 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

      > Working on an ENG-CZ presentation by an Austrian guy with funny
      > English...
      >
      > any idea what 'truck rolls' could mean? just one point in a list of
      > results
      > of a management improvement project:
      >

      > Typical Results in Utilities Sector
      >
      > Reduce operating expenses 15 - 25 percent
      > Increase Sales Efficiency 15 - 35 percent
      >
      > $$$$$$$$$$Reduce preventable truck rolls 25 - 40 percent$$$$$$$$$$

      If what I understand is what he is really trying to say, it's perfectly
      clear English for (pardon my Czech) "snizeni predejitelnych prevratu
      vozidel". (By prevrat I mean "rollover".)

      However, this could be a direct translation of the well-known German
      term "Verringerung vermeidbarer Lastkraftwagenbrötchen".

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4 5:52 PM
        On Thursday, November 4, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

        > Just a shot in the dark
        >
        > "zbytecne jizdy nakladnim vozidlem"

        This might be correct if the Austrian is using "roll" to mean that the
        truck is traveling somewhere. You definitely might be right.

        However, at least in North America, if a truck "rolls" that often
        means, ze nakladak se prevratil, and I could see "reduction of truck
        rolls" as a safety prevention goal.

        Jamie
      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8 4:39 AM
          Thanks to all who helped with the rolling trucks...

          If what I understand is what he is really trying to say, it's perfectly
          clear English for (pardon my Czech) "snizeni predejitelnych prevratu
          vozidel". (By prevrat I mean "rollover".)

          Nice one, Jamie, but I don't think there's an organization with that many
          trucks rolling over out there, let alone an organization who'd want to
          reduce the number of "preventable" truck rolls and be happy about the ones
          that were not preventable :)

          I said that our guess was the author meant "jizdy" by rolls and there was no
          feedback, so assuming that was it..

          Matej
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8 4:46 AM
            On Monday, November 8, 2004, at 07:39 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

            > Nice one, Jamie, but I don't think there's an organization with that
            > many
            > trucks rolling over out there, let alone an organization who'd want to
            > reduce the number of "preventable" truck rolls and be happy about the
            > ones
            > that were not preventable :)

            Well, that seemed odd to me too.

            > I said that our guess was the author meant "jizdy" by rolls and there
            > was no
            > feedback, so assuming that was it..

            Yes, but you still didn't deal with the fact that it could have meant
            "Lastkraftwagenbrötchen".