Re: [Czechlist] Austrian English Quizz: truck rolls???

  • Petr Veselý
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
      Just a shot in the dark

      "zbytecne jizdy nakladnim vozidlem"

      Petr

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Terminus Technicus" <czechlist@...>
      To: <Czechlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 3:41 PM
      Subject: [Czechlist] Austrian English Quizz: truck rolls???

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
        On Thursday, November 4, 2004, at 09:41 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

        > Working on an ENG-CZ presentation by an Austrian guy with funny
        > English...
        >
        > any idea what 'truck rolls' could mean? just one point in a list of
        > results
        > of a management improvement project:
        >

        > Typical Results in Utilities Sector
        >
        > Reduce operating expenses 15 - 25 percent
        > Increase Sales Efficiency 15 - 35 percent
        >
        > $$$$$$$$$$Reduce preventable truck rolls 25 - 40 percent$$$$$$$$$$

        If what I understand is what he is really trying to say, it's perfectly
        clear English for (pardon my Czech) "snizeni predejitelnych prevratu
        vozidel". (By prevrat I mean "rollover".)

        However, this could be a direct translation of the well-known German
        term "Verringerung vermeidbarer Lastkraftwagenbrötchen".

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
          On Thursday, November 4, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

          > Just a shot in the dark
          >
          > "zbytecne jizdy nakladnim vozidlem"

          This might be correct if the Austrian is using "roll" to mean that the
          truck is traveling somewhere. You definitely might be right.

          However, at least in North America, if a truck "rolls" that often
          means, ze nakladak se prevratil, and I could see "reduction of truck
          rolls" as a safety prevention goal.

          Jamie
        • Terminus Technicus
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
            Thanks to all who helped with the rolling trucks...

            If what I understand is what he is really trying to say, it's perfectly
            clear English for (pardon my Czech) "snizeni predejitelnych prevratu
            vozidel". (By prevrat I mean "rollover".)

            Nice one, Jamie, but I don't think there's an organization with that many
            trucks rolling over out there, let alone an organization who'd want to
            reduce the number of "preventable" truck rolls and be happy about the ones
            that were not preventable :)

            I said that our guess was the author meant "jizdy" by rolls and there was no
            feedback, so assuming that was it..

            Matej
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
              On Monday, November 8, 2004, at 07:39 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

              > Nice one, Jamie, but I don't think there's an organization with that
              > many
              > trucks rolling over out there, let alone an organization who'd want to
              > reduce the number of "preventable" truck rolls and be happy about the
              > ones
              > that were not preventable :)

              Well, that seemed odd to me too.

              > I said that our guess was the author meant "jizdy" by rolls and there
              > was no
              > feedback, so assuming that was it..

              Yes, but you still didn't deal with the fact that it could have meant
              "Lastkraftwagenbrötchen".