Austrian English Quizz: truck rolls???

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
      Working on an ENG-CZ presentation by an Austrian guy with funny English...

      any idea what 'truck rolls' could mean? just one point in a list of results
      of a management improvement project:

      Typical Results in Utilities Sector

      Reduce operating expenses 15 - 25 percent
      Increase Sales Efficiency 15 - 35 percent

      $$$$$$$$$$Reduce preventable truck rolls 25 - 40 percent$$$$$$$$$$

      Reduce service callbacks 30 - 40 percent
      Reduce sub-contracting costs 20 - 30 percent
      Improve service levels 15 - 30 percent
      Improve field engineering and resource utilisation 35 percent

      Unless this is something that has an actual meaning unknown to me???, do you
      think he could mean something like "snizeni zbytecnych vyjezdu vozidel"?????
      not that that makes much sense here, but the only think I can think of...
      any similar structures in German, Helga??

      Thanks

      Matej
    • Petr Veselý
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
        Just a shot in the dark

        "zbytecne jizdy nakladnim vozidlem"

        Petr

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
          On Thursday, November 4, 2004, at 09:41 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

          > Working on an ENG-CZ presentation by an Austrian guy with funny
          > English...
          >
          > any idea what 'truck rolls' could mean? just one point in a list of
          > results
          > of a management improvement project:
          >

          > Typical Results in Utilities Sector
          >
          > Reduce operating expenses 15 - 25 percent
          > Increase Sales Efficiency 15 - 35 percent
          >
          > $$$$$$$$$$Reduce preventable truck rolls 25 - 40 percent$$$$$$$$$$

          If what I understand is what he is really trying to say, it's perfectly
          clear English for (pardon my Czech) "snizeni predejitelnych prevratu
          vozidel". (By prevrat I mean "rollover".)

          However, this could be a direct translation of the well-known German
          term "Verringerung vermeidbarer Lastkraftwagenbrötchen".

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
            On Thursday, November 4, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

            > Just a shot in the dark
            >
            > "zbytecne jizdy nakladnim vozidlem"

            This might be correct if the Austrian is using "roll" to mean that the
            truck is traveling somewhere. You definitely might be right.

            However, at least in North America, if a truck "rolls" that often
            means, ze nakladak se prevratil, and I could see "reduction of truck
            rolls" as a safety prevention goal.

            Jamie
          • Terminus Technicus
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
              Thanks to all who helped with the rolling trucks...

              If what I understand is what he is really trying to say, it's perfectly
              clear English for (pardon my Czech) "snizeni predejitelnych prevratu
              vozidel". (By prevrat I mean "rollover".)

              Nice one, Jamie, but I don't think there's an organization with that many
              trucks rolling over out there, let alone an organization who'd want to
              reduce the number of "preventable" truck rolls and be happy about the ones
              that were not preventable :)

              I said that our guess was the author meant "jizdy" by rolls and there was no
              feedback, so assuming that was it..

              Matej
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
                On Monday, November 8, 2004, at 07:39 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

                > Nice one, Jamie, but I don't think there's an organization with that
                > many
                > trucks rolling over out there, let alone an organization who'd want to
                > reduce the number of "preventable" truck rolls and be happy about the
                > ones
                > that were not preventable :)

                Well, that seemed odd to me too.

                > I said that our guess was the author meant "jizdy" by rolls and there
                > was no
                > feedback, so assuming that was it..

                Yes, but you still didn't deal with the fact that it could have meant
                "Lastkraftwagenbrötchen".