Re: [Czechlist] Re: sweet vs. desert

    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 3, 2004
      On Sunday, October 3, 2004, at 02:52 PM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

      > I was trying to say that as I am using informal BritEng in those bits
      > (what I learned around building sites in various parts of England,
      > well, only a small part of what I learned there), it would sound odd
      > if I suddenly changed into American in the formal part of the report..

      That's probably true. Make sure they're internationally
      understandable, though. Some British translations of Svejk are almost
      incomprehensible in parts and therefore not funny.

      > East Enders is a soap opera, people put on fake working-class
      > (possibly East London, I wouldn't know) accents in it...

      I have an odd feeling I've seen it on TV here and didn't know what it
      was.

      Thanks for the explanation.

    • Martina Silpoch
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 5, 2004
        to add a little to this tasty conversation - we have several places
        in town selling frozen custard. Very delicious and fattening, tastes
        like thick, full bodied ice cream. That makes the idea that custard
        is eaten warm go out the window:)
        M.