Re: BrE vs. Am E - bonbony

  • raesim
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 1, 2004
      > > In this day and age I'd say most adult Brits will understand
      > > perfectly well and we do traditionally use the word for certain
      > > types of products (e.g. cough candies).
      >
      > Which is funny, because we call those "cough drops".

      FWIW, this Brit calls them 'cough sweets'. (The SOED, incidentally,
      marks 'cough candy' as North American.)

      > In North American English, the word "sweets" is used, however, it
      > does not mean only candy, but is a general term for anything sweet
      > that you put in your mouth. "Sweets" in North America include
      > cake, pastries, soda pop and other diverse items.

      In BrE, 'sweet' can also be used to mean 'dessert', although it's
      considered uncouth (i.e. working-class) by some.

      Simon
    • Martina Silpoch
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 5, 2004
        to add a little to this tasty conversation - we have several places
        in town selling frozen custard. Very delicious and fattening, tastes
        like thick, full bodied ice cream. That makes the idea that custard
        is eaten warm go out the window:)
        M.