Re: [Czechlist] Re: kousat, rozkousat + AAAARGH

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
      Nechroustej

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...>
      To: <Czechlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 1:45 PM
      Subject: [Czechlist] Re: kousat, rozkousat + AAAARGH

      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Terminus Technicus" <czechlist@t...>
      wrote:

      > > Hmm, another thought.. OK, don't crunch them from mother to kids, but
      what
      > > about "bonbony na kousani" as opposed to "bonbony na cucani"?
      > >
      > > (used as a semi-formal name for a category of sweets?)
      >
      > I had to mentally masticate this part of your question for a few minutes
      before I came up with my solution, which crossed in the post. For pills,
      lozenges, cough drops etc I'd expect something like "to be chewed", "may be
      chewed" or possibly even "chewable".

      > > > If the kids are eating sweets noisily: 'Don't crunch! Oooh, it goes
      right
      > > through me!' How would you say that in Czech?
      > >
      > > Say what - don't crunch'em?
      >
      > No, it goes right through me. The kind of thing you might say if somebody
      slowly drew a long fingernail down a piece of chalk.

      > M.
      >

      > Czechlist resources:
      >
      > Obcasnik:
      > http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • raesim
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
        > > Thanks, didn't think of crunching

        'Crunching' is fine as an expressive description, but it's not AFAIK
        the standard term here. If repeated throughout the text, it would
        draw too much attention to itself.

        > Here you can only crunch things that are crunchy. You can crunch
        > potato chips, or crunch roasted chick peas sprinkled with chili
        > powder, as I did yesterday (a terrific Mexican snack from the gas
        > station). But for hard candy, we'd say bite.

        I find 'bite' odd, too. As Jamie said himself, it refers to a
        single action.

        As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
        chewing.

        Simon
      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
          > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
          > chewing.

          Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about hard
          things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them and
          "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

        • raesim
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
            > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking
            > > and chewing.
            >
            > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what
            > about hard things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody
            > stops "cucat" them and "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is
            > it? Is crunch Ok here?

            I think 'chew' covers the whole masticatory spectrum.

            Simon
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
              On Saturday, October 2, 2004, at 01:23 AM, Terminus Technicus wrote:

              > > As far as I'm concerned, the only distinction is between sucking and
              > > chewing.
              >
              > Thanks for another view on the matter... fair enough, but what about
              > hard
              > things (sweets/candy) - like Halls - when somebody stops "cucat" them
              > and
              > "rozkouse je" - that's hardly chewing, is it? Is crunch Ok here?

              Crunch is too slangy here for any type of business report. Besides,
              you can crunch something without it being in your mouth. You can
              crunch something up with a hammer or something, conceivably at least.
              I think your only alternatives here are "bite" and "chew". In my
              opinion, "rozkouse je" (if it's got "roz-") would be "bite them", but
              something meaning "rozkouse a drti je" would be "chew them". "Crunch"
              would have the same sound as writing "zvejkat" instead of "zvykat".

            • ing.Sárka Rubková
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                I believe that to crunch can be translated as chroupat nebo chr^oupat nebo i
                kr^oupat.

                sarka