Re: Odkaslavani / obranyschopnost organismu

  • jsyeaton
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
      Or, strengthen the/your immune system.

      I agree on expectorate/expectorant.

      Jamie, maybe you could type up the product info on the next package of
      cough drops/syrup/ cold tablets etc. you pick up? This stuff is easy
      to recognize, hard to come up with spontaneously. I took the last
      Tylenol caplet from home a couple of days ago and just realized I
      should the empty file the container under "References, medical."

      Judy

      > On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:
      >
      > > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
      > > medicines
      > > against it.
      > >
      > > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
      > >
      > > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
      > > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
      > >
      > > would "coughing up" be OK for "odkaslavani" ?
      >
      > Use the medical term "expectorate".
      >
      > > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
      > > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
      > > mechanisms"
      >
      > I hear "immune capability".

    • Petr Veselý
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
        Thanks, Helga, Jamie and Martin,

        right, expectorate is my word. The funny thing is that my dictionaries
        differentiate between "vykaslat" - offer only cough up, and "vykaslavat" =
        expectorate. Of course, being lazy, I typed just "vykaslat" :-(

        oki, I will use immune system for obranyschopnost so that army men searching
        for new weapons do not hurry up to buy loads of honey syrups :-)

        Petr

        On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 07:45 AM, Petr Veselý wrote:

        > the season of flu is back again and so do the producers of various
        > medicines
        > against it.
        >
        > The words above come from a leaflet about honey syrups
        >
        > "Proti nachlazení, k usnadnení odkaslávaní, na uklidnení, pro posílení
        > obranyschopnosti organizmu, and so on and on and on..."
        >
        > would "coughing up" be OK for "odkaslavani" ?

        Use the medical term "expectorate".

        > and is it OK to use a general term for "obranyschopnost", i.e. defence
        > ability, or is it better to be more specific and say "defence
        > mechanisms"

        I hear "immune capability".

        Czechlist resources:

        Obcasnik:
        http://zehrovak.bloguje.cz
        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
          On Friday, October 1, 2004, at 08:18 AM, jsyeaton wrote:

          > Jamie, maybe you could type up the product info on the next package of
          > cough drops/syrup/ cold tablets etc. you pick up?  This stuff is easy
          > to recognize, hard to come up with spontaneously.

          There's a goopy bottle of cough syrup downstairs. I'll try to remember
          to do it this weekend.